Tuesday 18 March 2008

yup, still a city girl

I had a nap today.

Rosey had a hard time settling down last night, so I re-read an old book about forensic anthropology in war-torn Yugoslavia, tried to avoid her knees and elbows (she's a tosser, that one - and a bed hog, like me) and surprise! didn't sleep so well.

So today I had a nap. For a few days after I have a bad night, I have incredibly vivid dreams - very close to the ultra-colorful, psychotically strange, and normal-life-just-turned-up-a-notch dreams I had all through my pregnancies.*

My nap? No exception.

So I woke sweaty and horrified at the things people can do to each other in the name of war, came downstairs, and took the dog out.

While he picked and choosed the perfect spot, a rustling in the far meadow caught my attention. There was a white? thing? moving in the trees.

I squinted. Surely that wasn't a person? With a pillowcase over his head? Running drunkenly, frantically, wobbling from side to side into the watershed?

Holy God, there were four of them. What the hell was going on in our woods? I tried to see through the scrub in between where Jasper was finally peeing and the fleeing......



......white-tailed deer.


No more falling asleep to the news. In fact, maybe Rosey should be singing lullabies to me.


*My dreams were frightening - I'd have a dream about a situation so real I'd wake up and not know if it happened or not.

7 comments:

Vanessa said...

I have dreams like that too and I hate it. I hate waking up and not being able to decide the difference between reality and dreamland.

Sarah said...

You've been waxing especially poetically lately. Lovely.

That's all I have to say.

Sue said...

Hahaha about the deer. I read before I go to bed sometimes, but most of the time I will be found using my pocket Sudoku.

meggie said...

My daughter & I always have vivid dreams around the time of the full moon. Mostly they are not nice to recall, & like you, I often have to take time to realise they are not real.
I like to read at bedtime, but am not popular for doing so!

Anonymous said...

I get that every so often as well. It's scary to wake up and have to check everyone and everything to make sure it wasn't real.

Badger said...

Dude, that's the sort of dreams I have every single night of my life! Explains a lot about me, don't it?

fifi said...

Wow, deer in your field, how lovely.
I seem to be dreaming vividly lately. I like it.

I was really depressed once and didnt dream at all, and it made me sad. It was just like falling into black.


Your world looks so lovely. Just how I imagined it would be. I have a "thing " for Nova Scotia....

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...