Saturday 8 March 2008

the vet loves me

Yesterday was the big chocolate dogs turn. He's been itching at his ear, and after trying the Advantage routine (it kills ear mites too) we were back at the vets office again. (This time under much better driving conditions, and sans chilluns.

Right out of the gate he shat on the floor. They don't blink much about that at the vets, so it wasn't a catastrophe, although hanging on to your dignity while your huge hound mistakes a brick tiled floor for the great outdoors? Not so easy.) This happened at the same time I was passing a mason jar-ed litter-encrusted spatter from the cat* to the tech.
'Poop here, poop there', she said with a shrug.

They said not a word about J's portliness, but I think the vet will mention it next visit - it took him a long time and a few grunts to straighten and put doggo el grande up on the table.

Jasper was delighted to be at! face! level! and set about slurping everyone, his feathered tail knocking pictures off the walls and his butt shimmying almost off the table with enthusiasm.

I grabbed his head. The vet tech grabbed his middle (smartly forcing him to sit and pushing his rear up to the wall) and the vet checked out his ear. Jasper panted adoringly and shed great gouts of fur, nuzzling the vet every time he had a chance. In lab world, apparently nothing says lovin' like a big slobbery kiss and a liberal dusting of hair.

Afterwards, he led me around the parking lot a few times then climbed into the Blazer and fell asleep even before I started the car. Because getting ear wax cleaned out is exhausting business, y'know.


*They did a fecal float, which is exactly what it sounds like.
Kate now has two pills in the morning and one at night, and won't come near me if she can't see my hands.

7 comments:

M&Co. said...

What a lovely labbie! But you know, I love me some labbies. Margaret

EUC said...

That's exactly why I love labs. Too cute.

Caro said...

I'm glad your dog feels better. Vets have to be used to poop and slobbery kisses. :)

Christy said...

If your dog is like mine, fecal float looks as yummy as root beer float.

Cheers! (if you don't watch 'em...)

Ewww!

Sarah said...

In lab world, apparently nothing says lovin' like a big slobbery kiss and a liberal dusting of hair.

So true! Which reminds me, it's time to vacuum up a Dyson-load of choco lab fur. And that's just from the couch. Then I have to wash the pillows my sweet Ria loves to lick. Good thing labs are so darn lovable.

Vanessa said...

Whew! That's a lot of vet for one week! Hopefully everyone is fixed up for a while after this last visit.

Stomper Girl said...

Maybe you need to follow up all the pills with a little kitty treat afterwards? just to build a few bridges, you know...

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...