Thursday 17 April 2008

me, me, me

The Formative Years of daysgoby

Inspired by kittenpie
Me, doing the wrinkly red raisin newborn routine. The hospital put some sort of grease (baby oil?) on their newborns heads, so it wasn't until I was three weeks old that my Mom found out that I had curly black hair.
Six-eight months old? The picture on the right cracks me up. I have no idea what I was afraid of - but suspect it was the bedspread.
14 months old. Rosey gives me this look all the time.
Close to two. Opinionated even then. Also had a penchant for hats early on.

Three years old. Look, I'm missing teeth too! And my lord, I look like a Breck commercial! I'd kill to have that hair now....
And then I was seven. And got gangly. And uncomfortable with my body. Actually, the only one who looks comfortable in this picture is my mother, and she looks....stoned. (Not saying she was, but Jesus, mom, the glasses?)
Sixth grade. I took my much-hated retainer out for the picture. That was a hard year. I switched schools, and it was tough to make friends - I didn't help by being snooty (I'd just come out of a private school.) Once I stopped playing someone I wasn't, though, I fit in better. Amazingly, I still have some of those friends. But I don't still have the sweater.

Whoo-ey! Betcha can't guess what era this was taken in!?! And I would lay odds I was wearing gauchos on the bottom, too. And possibly boots. And most definitely bracelets that matched the earrings. My god-father there is probably trying not to burst out laughing at my outfit. Or it may have already possibly broken his camera lens.
And there's the Whitesnake hair. Big Hair? I has it.
Senior picture, 1989. My dad took them - I was the only one in my graduating class that had black and whites, and I still love them.

Okay! I cannot be the only one who has Whitesnake hair and bad outfits hiding in their photo albums. I'd love to see yours. I'll snicker quietly. Promise.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

No Whitesnake hair for me. It was all about the Farrah Fawcett wings.

Angewl said...

I LOVE this blog.

Thank you for sharing.

I don't have many pictures of myself. My grandma had them and when she passed, everything that had to do with me disappeared among the uncles. My mom got none.

I had the whitesnake hair, though. I swear.

Bronwyn said...

That is too funny. You are brave. I don't have the Whitesnake hair pics. Although, I am totally wishing I did. Mine are all of the big bang, crimped hair, Tina Turner layers.

Stomper Girl said...

Whoa, I can see alot of you in Rosey!
I love the dress you're wearing on what looks like a paddle-steamer, so pretty!

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

stomper girl is right! Rosie and you share a lot of features. Thanks for letting us snigger at your old photos. You are a sport.

meggie said...

Wow! Seriously beautiful child to woman!
Wonderful Post!!


Thank you for your kind words in my bereavement.xx

Loth said...

Aargh! I still had the Whitesnake hair when I got married in 1992! In my defence it was either perm it to within an inch of its life or watch it just lie there, limp and pathetic. Lesser of two evils, I thought. I was wrong, of course!

Badger said...

The dimples! They're killing me!

I did this a couple of years ago but I can't be bothered to find the link right now. It's better if you stumble upon it unawares in my archives, anyway. Ups the shock and awe factor.

molly said...

Love the Breck hair, the dimples and the gorgeous smile!

DD said...

If only I still had many of those kinds of pictures. I had a psycho room-mate who stole my photo albums and yearbooks that would have had many of those similar pictures. You are very lucky to have them, especially since they probably still make everyone smile.

alison said...

Totally had the Whitesnake hair in the 80s. See:

http://itsjustapie.blogspot.com/2007/11/bad-hair-decade_13.html

I think Rosey looks a lot like you did as a little girl.

Elizabeth said...

Brave, brave girl.
No Whitesnake hair but several really bad perms until I made peace with the fact I have straight hair.
No way I'm doing this. It's too painful to inflict on others.

Christy said...

Girl, you could be a model! Beautiful!

I had the bad, bad poodle perm. And they fried it once, in front, and it fell out.

No pics. Spent all my money on therapy...

Caro said...

Your comments were so funny. I loved the classic eighties hair.

I graduated HS in 87 so I had the big hair too, as big as I could get it anyway.

I don't know where my old pics are, probably with my Mom.

Vanessa said...

Your hair in the 3 year old picture is amazingly like mine in my second grade photo. Not sure what that says, but it was a funny observation (to me anyway).

Sue said...

I LOVE that senior photo!

Woman in a Window said...

I'm so glad to find another Canadian out here in cyber space. You think your hair was big?

Suzanne said...

That senior picture is great. I didn't have Whitesnake hair, but I did have a mullet (a/k/a bilevel). Hmm, wonder if I can find the prom picture to scan in.

I agree with stomper and squirrel, Rosey looks so much like you!

Come on by my blog-I've got something for you!

kittenpie said...

OMG I can't stand the teen hair! No wonder your fashion sense was fashioned by John Hughes... Well, you saw my hair - it's wonky enough with perms and whatnot, and I was never really that girl. (Also no blue eyeliner on me!)

But you were one cute kid - those dimples! Thanks for playing along!

SUEB0B said...

My life history in photos is at http://www.flickr.com/photos/11302994@N00/sets/72157603394530059/

Chantal said...

Hi I followed you here from womaninawindow's page. Yes I did have whitesnake hair and a few other styles. I like this post. I will have to do one like is soon.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...