Tuesday 22 April 2008

dancing with myself

I've been attending a lot of meetings lately, and that means time alone in the car.

Time when I can whiz along the highway* and turn the music up.

And loud music and faster speeds? Cry out for a little front-seat dancing.

So there I was tonight, tooling along, shaking off the sick-kids-and-sick-husband-mindset, doing head bobs and alternating shoulder swoops and getting down with my (really not so) bad self, she moves her body like a cyclone blaring on the radio and singing along as best I can and feeling like a teenager at the club, all funky and badass and NotMom

and I look next to me at the car pulling level with my own, waiting before I pull into the passing lane

and there, Oh God, MOUTH OPEN, brows knit incredulously, is one of the women I sit with on one of my committees, and in the backseat?

(watching just as intently)

Two other women, both of whom I know from town somewhere. Lord knows how long they'd been following me. The radio kept pumping out noise and I gave a quick, embarrassed grin and a sketchy wave and they pulled ahead and I slowed a bit and made sure not to follow too closely.

I had a hard time meeting her eyes at the meeting tonight, sure every time I spoke she was remembering me jouncing and the loud music and the singing.

And then I thought Eh, and went on to other things.



And I danced in the seat going home.



*note to husband: Am not leadfoot. Am NOT.

17 comments:

Stomper Girl said...

They were just jealous of your moves, bay-bee.

fifi said...

um...doesn't EVERYONE do that?
What's up with folk in Nova Scotia?


woo hoo, you!

Anonymous said...

So what music were you listening to?

Jennefer said...

We all need to get the mom out of ourselves every so often. Sorry the lady had to ruin it for you- glad you could shake it off and realize who cares...we only live once- do what you want to do

Unknown said...

Man I wish I had been driving on that same highway! HA hilarious!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you take pride in your car dancing. I do too (in my own)!

And hopefully it gave those ladies a smile.

Sue said...

I have that Billy Idol song in my head now. heheh.

Christy said...

I found as many car dancers in the PTA types as church-lady types.

Wonder when people decide which way to go.....I never had a choice, I was meant to car dance!

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Driving under the influence.....of dance music. Rhythm is gonna get you. You should do that again while having them ladies as passengers in your car and get them to join in. :)

Woman in a Window said...

YOU ARE BAD, SO BAD! And by bad, I mean bad in a good way, you know, like a young way, like sick et all, right? You are so not alone in making an ass of yourself en route. However, it is my firm belief, my most religious opinion, that all those others with mouths open are just plain missing out...

Woman in a Window said...

Ever rock on to PUMP IT? It's near impossible to not wreck!

Unknown said...

love this! i do this, too. window down, wind in the hair, radio blasting, dancing in my seat, screaming/singing my heart out to the music ... and i am speeding leadfoot mama! haha

fun post and fun reaction.

greetings from kathleen in anchorage alaska :)

Suzanne said...

They wish they could have, but there were others in the car!

BabelBabe said...

yeah, well, you're COOL and they are not. so there. : )

alison said...

I don't dance so much, but I'm alllll about the singing in the car. Real loud. Whether the windows are open or not. You just have to do it. Rock on, Jess.

Linda said...

Okay, I had never heard of that song before so I did me a little Googling followed by a quick trip over to YouTube, after which this entry made MUCH more sense. I did the whole googling bit just now but the entry's been with me all day. Not sure why. Maybe it's because I let my hair do it's naturally curly thing and I've been thinking about the 80's and being a teenager in the club (even though I was a teenager in the club in the 90's.)

Anyway. Rock on, Jess. Turn it up LOUD. And break their stereotypes wide open. *grin*

kittenpie said...

Hey, if they can't understand lettign loose in your own damn car, they are MISSING OUT!

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...