Wednesday 2 April 2008

heth tho thex-ay

B has a bite plate.

The dentist was concerned that he's grinding his back teeth away to nubbins, so now he has a plastic doo-hickey that he wears to bed that looks rather like a football players' mouthguard.

I forgot about it until he came downstairs looking grim and slightly puffy-cheeked, startling me.

What's wrong?

He spoke through the bite plate. "Noffing." Then, as he looked at me beginning to giggle, he shook his head at me. "Why ar oo waffing?"

When I was thirteen I had a retainer that made me talk with my teeth together.

"Yeah?"

Yeah.
(I spoke with my teeth together.) And it's all coming back to me now.

Bear eyed me for a moment, then nodded. Foot on the bottom stair, he reversed and came back to the computer desk, tapping my shoulder.

He looked resigned. "You're bwogging thith, aren't thu?"

I nodded. Some things are too good to pass up.

15 comments:

Sarah said...

Remember when you were a teenager and thought about how romantic it would be to live with a guy?

Tee hee!

Stomper Girl said...

When Fixit was wearing one of those to bed I used to ask questions just so I could laugh at how he sounded when he talked with it in. Cos i'm classy like that.

blackbird said...

I have a night guard whith effecths my speeth.

Loth said...

I used to have one of those. I, ahem, "lost" it.

alison said...

A girl's gotta blog what a girl's gotta blog.

Jess said...

Alison! I am SO making a tshirt that says that!

Anonymous said...

Pete is resigned to the fact that I will blog about moments such as the one you described. Those poor men!

Pam said...

You're a bad, bad woman. But funny.

Anonymous said...

Our poor kids are going to have a unique form of trauma from our blogging about them. TOO FUNNY.

molly said...

Isn't it nice of him to provide you with blog fodder?!

Anonymous said...

;-) Ha! I need a t-shirt that says that.

kimmyk said...

awwww.
but yeah. my daughter has a retainer and i laugh at her too.
i mean how can you not???

lol!!!

Anonymous said...

You and me? we're twins. I live to taunt people I love.
Sheesh, I laughed...

alison said...

Hee. Great idea with the shirt. Make me one too?

Jess said...

Dear Anonymous with the three page long spam -

PLEASE GO ELSEWHERE.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...