Friday 27 March 2009

fashionably damaged

Wednesday evening Rosey went to the refrigerator, yanked on the door....and screamed in pain as a full stainless-steel water bottle fell out of the fridge and onto her poor defenseless foot.

After a good fifteen minutes of crying and carrying on, she finally let me look at her foot, which quickly became mytoemytoedonttouchmytoe.

It's not broken. Nor bone-chipped. But red and angry and painful and

(possibly even more upsetting to her)

Rosey is going to lose her toenail. It's blue. Deep blue. And after three days of hobbling on it, the nail is finally giving up and beginning to lift.

The trouble began when I made the mistake of trying to explain. Cuddling her close and adjusting her ice-packed foot slightly, I talked about how her toe is blue because it was bruised under the nail and how in order for the skin to heal, her toenail might come off. I kept my voice low and soothing and smiled a lot.

And she freaked. Dissolved into snot-laden full blown tears. Threw herself tighter into my arms, sobbed and heaved and said 'No' and wanted me to fix it.

Which broke my heart a little, because the ice pack and the big hug? Were about as good as I was going to get.

So I patted and rocked and shushed and rubbed her back and hummed and let her cry - let her settle herself down, let her grab up her blanket and use it to rub her cheek against and

slowly,

slowly,

calm herself.

There were a few snorts and puffs and then....silence. Had she fallen asleep?

I moved very slowly and angled so I could see her face. Her thumb (damn it) was in her mouth, and her tear-stained eyes were wide open. Ookay, not asleep. But calmer!

'Pinth' she mumbled around the thumb.

'Pins? Does your toe hurt, Rosey?' My god, what if it was broken? I've been pooh-poohing Bear when he's wanted to take her in because she was bending it fine and walking on it and....
(full stop) She's fine.

'What, honey?'

There was a schwacking sound as she pulled her thumb out of her mouth.

'My toes should be' deep sniff ' pink, Mama. Not bluuuuuuue.'

She shook her head.

'I don't want blue polish. I only like pink. Can't I just wear pink?

Do I always have to have blue?'



10 comments:

Pam said...

Oh dear. Poor little Rosey. (Just wait till some boy breaks her heart. That's even worse.) Hope she's happier soon.

Mel said...

Ouch...poor thing!! I hope the next nail grows fast for her so the pink polish can go back. Happy weekend.

Jen on the Edge said...

Poor thing. I'm thinking that the perfect fix might be some pretty bandaids covering the blue part.

meggie said...

Oh poor sweet Rosey.
As Isabelle says, the older they get the bigger the hurts...

Jessi said...

Aww, that poor thing. :(

Woman in a Window said...

Ooof, and the grow back hurts too. But don't tell her that.

Vanessa said...

Poor kiddo! Hopefully she heals quickly and gets a full round of pink nail polish to celebrate.

mamatulip said...

Oh, poor little sweetheart!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh the poor thing...

Don Mills Diva said...

Aww - the poor wee thing. Graham's nail is black and blue as well - he slammed it in our sliding door (after refusing to stop after I got upset with him for continuing to slam it) a few weeks back.

And then told anyone who would listen that mommy did it because he was bad.

I'm still waiting for CAS to knock on my door...

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...