Monday 9 March 2009

day of not/ grace, week seven

Okay, am in a mutter-y, peevish mood here, so bear with me....

Five things I am NOT grateful for, small or big:

1. Dora's growing up. I will be the first to admit she bothers me (shhhh! Did your parents raise you in a barn?? STOP YELLING EVERYTHING!!!) but whisking her into puberty and making her grow up and go urban? Seems to be against everything she's been for so far.

First we go...behind the garbage dumpster, over the sidewalk, through the intersection......

2. Door-to-door insurance salespeople. I can't imagine there's a great return on this. Yes, please walk into my home, wake my (waning-cold-sick) daughter up, and then spend forty minutes telling me about something I told you I didn't want within two minutes of you coming through the door.

3. How I can't keep the house warm like B does. The wood stove? She no likey me.

4. Having to read bad books, just in case there's some redeeming twist at the end.

5. Daylight Savings Time. Sucks. The end.

Things that are brightening my spirit today:

1. Cass made me a bead necklace at school the other day. I have Mom jewelry.

2. The old oak tree outside the window - it filters the light and I can see the birds...

3. Oven roasted tomatoes.

4. Teaching the two tic-tac-toe and thumbprint drawing*.

5. Coke floats. Guess what's for dessert tonight?


*I have no idea what the actual name of this is - where you ink your thumb, press your thumb to paper, then draw in whiskers and a tail or whatever, using the thumbprint as the base of your doodle.

10 comments:

kimmyk said...

oven roasted tomatoes? then what do you do with them?

dora as in the lil' girl who the big brown eyes and dark hair on nickelodeon??? huh? urban? what?!

Jess said...

Pick them of the cookie sheet and eat them all, usually (oh, and swear as I burn my fingers)

Good in pasta too.

http://allconsuming.blogspot.com/2006/09/joke-mentioned-that-he-had-some-tomato.html

Woman in a Window said...

Dora's growing up? Fur real? Gawd...so glad mine are past Dora.

Sorry, I got stuck there. Hated Dora years ago...

Oh, if the door to door sales guy is keeping your door open for 20 minutes...that's why your house isn't warm. (Kidding, I know wood. Tempermental.)

Stomper Girl said...

You let them in your house? No way, I make them stand on the doorstep and talk to them through the screen door. Much easier to end the conversation taht way.

crazymumma said...

A man from CAMH showed up on my doorstep today (centre for addiction and mental health) asking for funds and I nearly threw myself into his arms screaming mercy.

TAKE ME TAKE ME!

Anonymous said...

I'm irritated about the Dora thing too. Luckily, I'm pretty sure my girls will scorn her on general principal.

Elizabeth said...

The wood stove business does required a bit of finesse but it can be learned. As me how I know!

Anonymous said...

Next thing you know, Dora will be getting prescription for birth control pills. Sheesh.

witchypoo said...

Oh! the tomatoes!

Anonymous said...

I'd be for making some awesome spaghetti sauce with those bad boys! For sure!

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...