Sunday 29 March 2009

pvc foliage

My head is full of gardens.

But not mine. These are castles-in-the-sky gardens, egged on by the books I keep checking out of the library, with (lying) comments on how easy it is to make a spectacular garden space out of a handful of seeds, a few poles, and some binder twine... and how lovely the trailing branches of the lilacs are when you're running away from all the bees...

I don't understand. Don't any of these authors have deer?

Where, exactly, are these neighborhoods with the perfect soil and the half-shaded areas and the well-ventilated soft-packed clay?

They are nowhere near me.

This year, I thought I'd be pro-active. I already know that deer will eat anything expensive colourful that I plant, so I thought...perhaps wildflowers?

Wildflowers are beautiful. Not as much work. Hardy.

And then I remembered the lower field, where the deer happily munch all coloured blossoms like large, determined, deaf-to-my-screams-of-rage mowers - all except the goldenrod.

A goldenrod garden. Hmmmm. Rows upon rows of waving yellow, hummingbirds and butterflies flitting around, the sounds of birds chirping....

And behind that, the sound of everyone in my house sneezing.



Have there been any realistic breakthroughs in plastic flowers? Help....

8 comments:

Jen on the Edge said...

If you mix in the stuff you want with the stuff that deer don't like, you should be able to protect your flowers from those white-tailed rats.

Chantal said...

check this out:
wwwDOTnortherngardeningDOTcom/deerplantsDOThtm

Loth said...

Sadly, any deer that tried to get near my garden would be mown down by the constant streams of traffic heading for Ikea up the road. The joys of urban living.......

Woman in a Window said...

What about the deer decoys? At least they're cute.

Ree said...

Listen to what Jen on the Edge said. I'm making her my garden guru. (She just doesn't know it yet)

molly said...

I could send you The Bean.....But you'd have to feed him. Hmmmmm. He's six foot four and two of his legs are hollow, but he can make anything grow for you!
You made me laugh out loud about your family sneezing!

Bronwyn said...

I had a client who used to put dolls heads on stakes and plant them in her garden. The deer never came near those and it was very bright and cheery. Frightening, but cheery.

Ricki said...

I think deer don't eat marigolds? I'll ask my Mom in the morning. Beyond an 8 ft fence though...nothing will save your veggies :) My Grandma slivers up a smelly soap like Irish spring and places it around her flowers, as long as you replenish it after it rains I guess it works.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...