Thursday 5 March 2009

ch-ch-ch-changes

When I got to the manse this morning there were men inside.

It was a little shocking, since I've been working here for I-don't-know-how-long and it's always been me and the empty house. But here was a face at the door, letting me in!
A surreal moment, to say the least.

(I checked to make sure he was wearing clothes appropriate for this century - who's to say this old house doesn't have spirits? Although why they would appear now after all this time would be puzzling.....)

He's a contractor. He's here to build a bathroom in the office. Which means the church is one more step closer to either renting out or possibly selling this lovely old building.

Which makes me very sad.

It's a hopeless longing, because I'd never a) get B to move here and b) never get the money together in time, plus it's c) in town and B will combust if hemmed in with other houses (I kid. Sorta.) and I'd rather the chilluns grew up out country than here (not to slag on the school system here, but have I mentioned how much I like the little schoolhouse?)

But on the other hand, someone should love this house. And live in it.

Bring laughter to it again.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I was saddened too when my Church sold it's manse. It was a financial burden that they couldn't carry anyone more. When our last minister left, the new minister was to have their own accommodations. And the manse was fixed up and sold. So many memories of that old house. Now it is being loved by someone else.

Mike said...

Great sentiment and attitude in the end for the house. As you said, if not I than someone to love and laugh in it...

Anonymous said...

My mind is blown! We live in (roughly) the same place! And here I thought I was the only person on the south shore on the world wide fancy pants internets. ;)

Woman in a Window said...

But the country! I have to agree with Bear. I live far away. You can't hit me.

Loth said...

Don't tempt me........

Magpie said...

Houses do need to be loved. I hope that it gets to be.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...