Tuesday 24 March 2009

whither the weather

It DID snow. But then it melted, and the birds sang and everyone was so happy....and then it snowed again. And this time, it stayed.

Just enough to require snowpants be sent to school, but not enough to really do anything in the snow.

Now, I'm tired of winter. And I would vote (if I had a say in any of this, that is) for spring to come, and quickly. But I would also say sternly that

if winter is going to come back, time and time again, shouldn't it come back in full-force? Better that then the drippy-muddy days of will-it-snow-and-shall-it-stick. Because I'm tired of washing slightly-mildewed mittens, and sorting out boots.

The weather seems to be all that people talk about. At the village store, the shopkeeper has a sign behind the counter. 'It snowed again - isn't it exciting?' so he can point to it when people comment abut the weather.

Side note: That shopkeeper? Is my brother-in-law. While I was pregnant with Cass, he put a sign on the countertop next to the cash register reading 'No baby yet' so he didn't have to give the status over and over. A man of few words, is our Ted.

I long for spring, and even summer. I bought marshmallows today, just so I could open them and breathe in sugared memories of s'mores cooked over a campfire. That, and I'm dying to have a summer tomato. Outside. Without snow.

Garden magazines are coming in. And I have a birdfeeder to find plans for.

9 comments:

Chantal said...

I need spring too. Last year I went on a business trip to the Caribbean and on the drive to the hotel I tried to make chit chat with the driver. "Nice weather you have here" I said, he looked at me and said, "All you Canadians talk about is the weather. Its always the same here, nothing to talk about." So much for that conversation starter.

MsCellania said...

We've got cold weather again, after WEEKS in the 70's.
It was kind of nice; I flipped on the fire (used to hate gas logs, now I love them - No Cleanup!) and worked more on The 39 clues with the boys. I do data entry, and we chat about new words with our dictionaries handy.
But I am looking forward to spring arriving and staying.

Woman in a Window said...

I love that brother-in-law and his sign. god, that's endearing!

witchypoo said...

After 24 hours, it's still snowing. Sheila's brush, me arse, it's a broom.

Loth said...

On the plus side, at least you do get proper snow. Over here, we just get cold rain and on the rare occasions it does snow, the wet half-hearted kind is all we get.

Anonymous said...

Intellectually, I know that snow is still possible in Michigan in April. Every day, though, I hope that we can get through JUST ONE MORE DAY with no white stuff.

crazymumma said...

summer tomatoes AND a drink at the end of the day while the heat lessens just slightly.....

MARY G said...

Amen!

Badger said...

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think I have a little crush on your brother-in-law.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...