Saturday 31 May 2008

smiling through the sparkles

It's raining tonight, a clear rain that will soak into the ground and help green this area.
A sweet rain.

Rain doesn't really make me blue - it makes me remember things, things that stand out in my memories from long ago...

Like stepping out after a middle-school dance into a misty shower, Bryan Adams still blaring 'round my brain and the cologne of the boy I'd danced with still caught in my nose, wide-eyed and stunned with wonder that everything outside still looked oddly the same while I was so different inside....

Like having my very first real kiss in the middle of a thunderstorm. (We were gathered around the windows, watching the lightning flash, and he (The Boy! The one I didn't know liked me!) said my name in this odd voice and I turned and he was right there, and I wondered if he could hear my heart pounding....)

Like driving through states in the pitch-black with a couple of friends, trying not to get lost and knowing even if we did it would be okay because we were together.

Like the first night I spent in my very own place, wandering around and touching the walls, thinking this is mine and realizing I was, finally, growing up.

And the first night B and I started moving my things up to live here. We stayed somewhere on the East coast that night, and I remember shifting things around in the UHaul and carrying the giant cage we had the cats in into the hotel, all with the punctuation of far-off lightning, and how the puddles caught all the neon from the highway and reflected it wetly back.

So rainstorms make me thoughtful.

And thunderstorms still make me blush.

11 comments:

Woman in a Window said...

So nice. And I always shudder to write that word 'cause Mr. Bell in grade five told me it was not a word. I wonder if we would have been like glue if we would have known each other in our younger years or if we would have repelled, too like magnets seeking out their own...Maybe we're not alike at all but your voice seems so familiar.

Anonymous said...

Sweet rain, sweet memories.

Anonymous said...

A lovely post.
I love me a thunderstorm.
I fixed my blog too.
And somebody else's

Stomper Girl said...

That was lovely. I like a bit of rain, but I am mildly phobic about thunderstorms. Perhaps if a boy had ever offered to kiss me during one I wouldn't have minded them so...

Susan said...

You have a lovely way with words. Very vivid imagery!

Sue said...

Your memories spark memories of my own! Sweet memories. Also involving rain, and dances, and boys. hehe.

Christy said...

Storms are scary and cleansing....and sexy and reverent.

I love 'em!

Nice post!

Vanessa said...

Very sweet memories! I like rain too. It makes everything feel fresh and clean again. Now storms, not so much!

Gingers Mom said...

What a sweet post! I wish my memory of my first kiss was so sweet. :)

Don Mills Diva said...

You have such an evocative way of writing - lovely post - thanks!

meggie said...

Another lovely post which brought smiles to me.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...