Sunday 1 June 2008

ten places that feel like home


You don't have to live in places to feel like you're home.

Which is a very good thing, as my ten places include a long bridge, a county courthouse (a symbol of the town it's in) a waterfall, a falling-down insane asylum, a historically accurate tourist attraction, a city, a wharf, a racetrack, a simple front porch and a museum.

These are a few places where I feel most like myself, where things are simple and I'm happy just feeling the sun on my face and listening to the thrum of my life as it goes along.

As different as they are, I love them all - for the way I feel around them, for sweet memories and vacations snapshots kept in my mind. For long walks and time spent alone, for friends and laughing and journeys with loved ones by my side. Remembering the chuckle and burble and sweet slapping waves, the sound of the wind sighing through the trees. Echoes of days gone by.

Not pictured, but dearly loved too: My great-grandmother's kitchen, my best friends' front deck, the swimming hole at the lake access right off of M-72, the veterans cemetery in Holland, and the little dam behind the old theatre.



L to R, top row:
Ontario County Courthouse, Niagara Falls,Traverse City State Hospital, the horse statue at Churchill Downs, Louisville, Kentucky, Innisfree's front porch
L to R, bottom row:
Leland's Fishtown, Chicago, The Canso Causeway, The Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic, and the Coast Guard Station at Glen Arbor, Sleeping Bear Dunes.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neat places! Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

What a cool collage!

Woman in a Window said...

Home is more than just a house. Isn't that great! I love how you write this...

meggie said...

Beautiful post!

Anonymous said...

Why the insane asylum? I'm not asking that facetiously, I really want to know.

Anonymous said...

What? No pictures of New York?

Anonymous said...

Clearly I'm going to have to start nagging you to make a trip south so that you can add some Colonial and/or Jeffersonian architecture to that collage. :-)

Anonymous said...

Those are such beautiful pictures.

I wish I knew where I felt most at home, so I could take such inspiring pictures =)

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...