Sunday 30 November 2008

they live claus by

So I was woken this morning by the sounds of giggling. And then the jangle-swoosh-jangle-jangle noise that comes from ornaments dancing on swaying pine branches.

And when I padded downstairs, two sets of toes peeked out from under the tree.

Funny, I didn't know we had squirrels in our attic.

Routed them out, of course, but I'm sure I'll find them under there again, whispering secrets and staring up at the twinkle-lights above their heads.


The past few years, my kids have had the pleasure and privilege of having a personal visit from Santa Claus on Christmas Eve. Santa takes a break from his busy night to come see the children for a moment, get a hug and give them both a hug, then he whisks away.

This year Cass has asked me three times 'when Santa comes to visit, is it really Uncle T?'

I always counter with a question: (Because we all know that Parenting Technique #34523 - The Great Stall works, at least for awhile) Do you think Uncle T would want to miss Santa? I'm pretty sure Uncle T's job makes him work every Christmas Eve.

Poor Uncle T.

Cass isn't totally convinced. 'But Uncle T always comes in right afterwards! And...I just think it's him.' He looked crestfallen and I wracked my brain trying to figure out what in the hell to say

- when suddenly, my boy made a colossal leap of logic* and began to smile again.

'I get it. Don't worry, Mom. I won't even tell Rosey that Uncle T is Santa. But, Mom,

....where does he hide the reindeer from Auntie K?

So - you see, there are great bonuses to marrying into a Canadian family. The Clauses are apparently my in-laws.





I love NaBloPoMo. There's such a camaraderie about it. Until next year!


*Those are getting scary. Today I was unloading the dishwasher and he was explaining to me how he does two-digit addition in his head. (20+22 is 42, right Mom?)
He's a
first-grader.

12 comments:

Stomper Girl said...

You're realted by marriage to Santa?!?! Can you tell him I'd really like my own tap studio for Christmas? (I don't want much)

Suzanne said...

You're related to Santa? Will you tell him I've been a VERY good girl this year? He'll know what I want!

MARY G said...

Way to go! Mission accomplished. Many congrats.
And I love this post. My kids learned there was no Santa and went to great lengths not to let US find out that they knew. They didn't want to make us sad. Funny kids.
That is one precocious math whiz you have there. Wow!

Linda said...

Since you have an in with Santa, I'd really like a nice pair of yoga pants. I've been pretty good this year. And I've put up with an awful lot of crap. That ought to count for something.

Dude, that Cass is SMART. Please tell me he's going to run for president of the world one day? Because I so want to vote him into some sort of office.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't Auntie K know that she's Mrs. Claus??? ;-)

Awesome cuteness there.

Anonymous said...

Next time I need a math tutor I'm totally calling your son.

Anonymous said...

Awwww! Great Mom Moment #4927!

Dory

Anonymous said...

What the hell?? You'd mentioned he was mathematically inclined, but honestly... that's just crazy.

Anonymous said...

GREAT STORY.

Don't you just want to eat them up they are so cute?

Anonymous said...

Oh, how cute. Why didn't you take a picture of the piggy toes under the Christmas tree?

Woman in a Window said...

Absolutely freaken wonderful! Wonderful! Wonderful! I love you Cas! My kinda logic!

My daughter is getting rather exasperated with me 'cause I never remember who gave which gifts, mommy and daddy or Santa. I try to play dumb a lot, I guess because I am. (I should keep a list.)

Chantal said...

That is great. I wish my in-laws were the Claus' :)

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...