Saturday 15 November 2008

sounds around me:

The wind is up, rustling the leaves along the ground and blowing the last of the rain-drops off the oak tree.

*click click click - Bear's on his lap-top upstairs

*snortle gzink gzzzonk - Jasper is sacked out behind me (and did you have to release the doggy odour of doom, dog???)

*The cats are padding up and down the stairs, eyeing the dog with a butchers eye (slices? haunch meat? What shall we go for first?)

the house is so quiet, gearing down for the night, and.....

*footsteps. (augh!) Quick, hurrying footsteps padding down the hall to the top of the stairs

(cats scatter)

a shuffling noise.....

then a thud, thud, thud down the stairs, fingers trailing the bannister, blankie clutched tight, eyes and hair tangled with sleep -

Hi, Rosey. Couldn't sleep, hey sweetheart?

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

Aww, and I can picture that squint from the bright lights after being in a darkened room...

Anonymous said...

Awwww. The peace was deafening?

Woman in a Window said...

"The cats are padding up and down the stairs, eyeing the dog with a butchers eye." ugh you! This is why I love here!

Anonymous said...

I spent a little time today listening to the sounds outside today, too: the wind, a faraway wind chime of the neighbors, the mockingbirds chirping, a faraway train horn, a neighbor's dog barking, and occasionally, some beautiful quiet.

crazymumma said...

Sometimes I love it when they come to me like that other times I realize it is the end of my time alone and I tighten.

But what an image you painted. Lovely.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...