Sunday 9 November 2008

confession

sh!!!!

I like the new stove.

It's not as good-looking as the other, not the same memories and continuance and the feeling of hunkering-down-and-this-is-home that the old one gave, certainly not as gorgeous and a thing of beauty lasts forever......

But man, does it have a big oven. And the light works. And when you walk into my kitchen and someone turns on the burners, you don't catch a whiff of gas.

(unless you're next to the dog. Sorry, couldn't resist!)

I kept the back panel of my late, lamented stove - the part that proudly announced 'Findlay' (and the conversations where we almost named Cass Finlay or Finn? Are rising to haunt me. You don't think...? Naaahhhh.) and I'm going to gut it of wiring and then figure out a way to hang it up. At least, that's the plan. It may look too odd and then I'll have to figure something else. But I'm loath to let go of it all so quickly.

But yes, I like the new stove. Amazing.

6 comments:

barbra said...

When we moved to our new house, it had (has) a new stove. I miss the look of our antique in our old house, but I have to admit, I like being able to fit things in the oven. And being able to turn on the light and see things through the door. And yes, I don't miss the gas smell. The new oven is pretty in its own way. At least I think the new owners kept the antique in there - and that thought makes me happy!

Woman in a Window said...

Owww, I like Finn. I keep thinking about blog names to call my kids. Finn is definitely in the running.

Woman in a Window said...

Ok, I meant OOoohh, now OW!

Linda said...

Oh, good! I'm glad the newbie is settling in okay and becoming part of the household.

And I like the name Finn as well. Sounds adventurous!

Anonymous said...

you could always make it into a planter.........or a fish bowl*LOL*

Stomper Girl said...

I hope you can somehow save the old stove... If the wall-hanging (which sounds like a great idea) doesn't work out, could it be a cubby house toy for the kids maybe? When my great-uncle's old sunbeam toaster which I loved died of old age I wouldn't let Fixit chuck it, and sent it to the cubby house instead. (He hated it because it was a drop-toaster, where you had to drop the bread just so)

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...