Monday 17 November 2008

on and on and on

Every once in awhile I start noticing how fast the kids have grown. One of those things where you've been aware that the jeans are getting smaller and wow, those shirts are starting to just graze her waistband and then there's a hey, Mama? and you turn around and there's this KID standing there where your preschooler used to be.

It's shocking. And crazy, how they can sprout overnight. R is just fitting into C's outgrown jeans - she's slim for them and tugs on the waistband, so her 'boy-jeans' are only worn at home and around the neighborhood, but she loves them and gleefully stomps around, insisting they fit fine.



These short fall days both the kids want to be outside. With the wind blowing chill and the air scented with woodsmoke and cold river water, it feels like biking days are soon over. It's this kind of weather that begins the odd fashion of riding a bike with a woolly hat shoved under your helmet and mittens.

But who could blame them? Especially when there are plenty of leaf-strewn lanes to race over, shrieking your freedom to a wide-open sky.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

They do grow up quickly; enjoy every second while you can!

Stomper Girl said...

sometimes you just want to put a brick on their heads to slow their growing up down.

Loth said...

I can hug my older son without bending over now. We threaten both of ours with the "child compressor" on a regular basis!

alison said...

I think they do their growing at night when you can't see it happening. Sadly our bikes are in the basement for the winter so I can park the car in the garage.

Anonymous said...

Being a kid in the fall - what a great time to be alive.

jAMiE said...

I love fall and the crisp air, i feel so alive.

Enjoy those leaf strewn paths!

barbra said...

I'm always asking them, "who told you you could grow up?"

Woman in a Window said...

Wish they'd come and drag my kids out of here. Mine have been wanting to stay in lately. Driving themselves crazy. How is it that they can so quickly forget the magic of free?

Chantal said...

It does go fast. I am shocked that my baby will start school next year :(

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written.

mamatulip said...

They grow up WAY TOO FAST. I asked Oliver to stop growing the other day, to stay three forever.

He said no.

Hmph.

crazymumma said...

I love the blue on that porch. It looks like memory.

and how fast they grow , frankly, it always makes me feel sad, a bittersweet sad.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...