Wednesday 17 May 2006

we used to play in the park


In the marina park there is a climb-on structure for kids, built to look like a sailing ship.
The pirate ship is a big draw for kids and there are usually several young'uns swinging from the various ropes, slides, and ladders that adorn the thing. My two are no exception - they love it. So tonight we went out and let them romp in the park for a bit.

The marina park is only a few years old - lots of lovely landscaping, a path to walk on, a middle point with a mast (flags flying) replicas of cannons (the town thrives on its' Privateer history) and an area where a stage is put up every summer for concerts.

C and R love it - R can dig in the sand, and C can climb up all the ladders and ropes and neat ways to get up.
We like it too - there are benches nearby, and there's usually a breeze off the river...

Tonight there was a couple there with three children. Two boys (fourish and threeish) and an infant girl. Dad plopped his bum down on one of the benches and lit up a cigarette, while Four and Three took off, screaming like banshees, for the pirate ship. C was delighted there were more boys to play with. Their Mom and I said hi and how are you, and started playing with the boys. She and I were discussing summer play groups when there was a yell from behind her "D, this baby stinks!"

Off she went to change a diaper. Bear was slightly popeyed and didn't want to look at me - he's well aware that maneuver just wouldn't fly in our family, and I think he thought I was going to say something.
I held my tongue.

I was scooping sand with R under the pirate ship when Three called his Mom. "I gotta make, Mom." Then he did the I'm-not-kidding dance of squirmyness. His Mom was distracted by Four's howling (he'd fallen off the rope ladder) and pointed.

"There. You can go there."

I expected Three to high-tail it (with Dad) across the road to the Chinese restaurant, or the bowling alley, or the bakery, or even the hardware store.....but the next thing I knew, R was staring in fascination at the wet on the sand in front of her. C was hopping up and down. "He peed! He peed, Mommy! In the dirt!" And then to the kid "That's a bad thing to do." Three shrugged. "Mommy lets me."

His mother had told him to piss in the play-sand, under the play structure, with other kids around.

I used to think those Dateline specials about the ball-pits at McDonalds were ridiculous, mainly because I couldn't imagine anyone knowingly making something germy and dirty for a child.

Now? We just re-stocked up on hand-cleaner. And I don't think we'll play at the park anymore.

9 comments:

Cat, Galloping said...

ew. but seriously, can one never go to the park every again?

Lily'sMama said...

That is so disgusting! What great parents to have :(

Anonymous said...

I am a great believer in the germ theory. (Germs are good in that they toughen up my kid's immune system.) But even I am totally grossed out by that one.
But it seems a shame to never go to that really cool park again. Maybe after the next rain all will be cleansed?

Major Bedhead said...

Ew.

See? People, man. Fucking amazing.

Sweet Coalminer said...

Oh how totally nasty.

My float said...

Oh, that is so revolting! Every day I am more and more amazed by how people make such poor calls. What kind of lessons are they teaching their kids? Bet you won't be inviting them over for playdates!

Angewl said...

That was just so disgusting!!!

How could she just tell him to pee in the sand in front of someone?!?!

UGH!

I'm sorry C and R will miss out on that really cool park cause of people like that.

KPB said...

That is SO gross. Ew ew and ew some more.

Jeanne said...

yuck

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...