Monday 15 May 2006

blah blah blah

In the next few days, I am to get a clear plastic container-box, fill it with an assortment of toys, and work with R so she can hear me say the words. There are quite a few - a horse (the tongue click sound) a cow (the muh-MOO sound) a ball (buh) a train (chew-chew) an ice cream (mmm!) a baby doll (sssh! Baby's sleeping!) and so on. The object is to get R used to the feel of the sounds in her mouth as she begins to make words.
The feeling now is that this is more a delay than damage, although noone can explain to me how she can be missing such elemental building blocks of sound (buh? ssh? oink?) and still trot out tickle-tickle.

I can finally swallow without wincing, thank God. I hear the doctor's sons are getting a touch of whatever this is that's been going around. (evil grin) Not, you understand, that I had anything to do with that.

My siamese cat was finally diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. Now she's calmer and much happier until she spots me coming with her teeny little pills. Not a happy kitty! I explain (futily) everytime I'm stuffing one down her pink maw and she's giving me that outraged 'why would you do this to me' look - If I didn't like you, I wouldn't be doing this!

Must get to bed. Perhaps not so much better as I thought, huh?
Tomorrow I'll write more coherently.

8 comments:

Angewl said...

I'm glad its not the horrible "d" word!!! Thank goodness.

I ahve been checking off an d on all day to see if you updated. lol

Poor Kitty.

Poor you. Get some rest.

Cat, Galloping said...

whew. delay not damage is good!

Tessa said...

Three counts of good news. I hope you all continue to progress.

(@)~>~~

Major Bedhead said...

Delays are fine. Delays can be caught up. This is a good diagnosis. Yay!

Oh, giving cats pills. Such fun. Lucky, lucky you.

Joke said...

Yay, delay!

-J.

P.S. Thank you for reminding me why I don't have pets.

MsCellania said...

Gosh, you must feel like an emotional yo-yo! I mean it's great to get the extra services for R, but the woman's delivery was horrid! I find people who work in the System get rather blase - thank goodness we had a family support person who was very careful to warn us how hard it might be to hear some of the stuff - and she did it in person, not via the phone. Now, almost 4 years into hearing about my R's DELAYS (again, I shout out DELAYS as like julia said Delays can be caught up; and that's what we are rattlin' our rosary beads for), I am pretty blase myself. But gosh, I went Deer-In-The-Headlights at that first meeting. Then cried hysterical, hiccupping, wiping-nose-on-sleeve crazy/wild/frenzied tears of disbelief and fear. But, yeah; I still get that hard pit of fear in my guts when I hear anything that's not forward progress about my R.

I had a smile reading about Doc Granola's progeny, heh heh heh. Can you give kitty a treat after the force-fed pill? Or is she to have no food for an hour after ingesting it - like people who take synthroid?

And thank goodness your throat is better. I had my tonsils out at 22. No fun. But necessary. Hated to have them out as they are important to the immune system.

My float said...

It is interesting that no one can explain that why she is saying complicated phrases but not basics. Just proof, I guess, that medical science - while essential, of course - doesn't have definitive answers for everything. It leaves the door open for so many opportunities, rather than failures or problems.

So who knows what marvellous things little R will achieve!

Jeanne said...

poor cat.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...