Thursday 25 May 2006

show and tell: rock

show and tell for blackbird



This rock came from the driveway of my fathers boyhood home in Troy, Pennsylvania. When wet, it glows a rusty red, like most rock in that area.

The farm has long been sold but last time we were in town I took my husband on a quick look-see (the owners were pleasant, saying 'Go wherever you'd like') and we went through the old barns (apple-scented), the smokehouse, the brook and even up to the little pond where my parents tried to teach me to ice-skate.

I tripped over this in the driveway and picked it up. Someday, I will find someone to cut a sliver from it and make it into a tie-tack or some such for my dad, who will appreciate it in his quiet way - or be bemused that I've kept this so long.

7 comments:

blackbird said...

THAT is a great rock.

And a great story too.

Canada said...

That's really beautiful! Linked here from your comment on my blog. Cool - someone else in Canada! I did my undergrad at StFX in Antigonish, NS. They have the BEST pizza ever at The Wheel - it's worth the drive (depending where you are in NS. It might not be worth the drive from Yarmouth!)

--erica said...

I love rocks..and good stories to go with them.
I just realized that I have a piece of rock in my rock picture from my hubby's Great grandparent's farm in Oklahoma. Gypsum? The road was covered in it, and we were all amazed. :) (it's at the top of the pic)

Sarah Louise said...

What Blackbird said.

Angewl said...

That is so awesome!!!

Trina said...

Very cool! Great story. :)

MsCellania said...

Very tender story, DGB. And I love your sentiment to make something for your dad. He will very much appreciate it, I think.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...