Monday 8 May 2006

the dresden crack'd

I talked to the ECD lady today, just a quick call, setting up R's next appointment.

And now I'm freaking out.

She and I had previously had a discussion where she wasn't sure that ECD would be able to re-admit R as a client because there was only one developmental area in question. She wasn't too concerned and told me she'd talk with the other workers in the office and let me know.

Today she called to set up an appointment. And then:

ECD: It wasn't a hard sell to get R back on the caseload.
M: Good. I'm glad we'll be working with you.
ECD: The problems that we initially admitted her to watch out for - we thought they were resolved but now it looks like they're still there.


R was originally a client because she was deprived of oxygen at birth.
She was discharged because she seemed to be developing normally.

So now we're talking about brain-damage. Brain damage.

And not the Bill Cosby Fatherhood funny stuff.

I know I know I know in my heart of hearts that we'll be okay, that she's developing normally in every other way and this is just something to work through.

But hearing brain damage today?

It broke my heart.

9 comments:

MsCellania said...

Oh Jess! That's so hard to hear. I know that feeling in your stomach and that shutting down that happens. I swear I went deaf and that time slowed down when I heard "markers for autism" about my R. I wanted to grab him and run. And never stop.

Early Intervention and lots of it, no breaks for summer, etc, seems to have made a huge difference for us. He'll probably never be Mr. Social, but he has learned some skills.

Please email me if you want to chat further. Honey, I know your pain.

(((((JESS)))))

Anonymous said...

Jess- sending hugs your way. I hope that they are just being over-cautious, but that's still got to hurt. I'm sorry.

Cat, Galloping said...

oh gosh jess, that sounds scary.

Joke said...

OMG.

I'll get on this, prayerwise, IMMEDIATELY.

-J.

rae ann said...

oh jess... i'm so sorry. i know it's hard, but try not to freak out until you have more info. those words are a mom's worst fear- i can't even begin to imagine how you must feel.

My float said...

oh, that breaks my heart too. She'll be okay. Sending you all the best wishes in the world.

Lily said...

What to say that hasn't already been said. Here's to you for going with your gut and contacting the ECD people promptly. I'll be thinking of you and your sweet baby girl.

Tessa said...

Oh my goodness.
I'm very sorry... the brain is a wonderfully resiliant thing. I'm sure you've heard of people who suffer a stroke and then go on to recover with treatment/therapy.
I'm hoping the very best for your family.

Trina said...

For some reason, my first response to this didn't show up.

(((hugs))) to you. I hope that everything turns out ok - I was glad to hear your update. I'll be thinking about you and your little girl!

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...