Sunday 28 May 2006

cue dirge?

For the last few days, we've been on Deathwatch 2006 for the poor damned cat, who keeps failing then rallying - the thyroid pills at first worked really well but now she's back to skin and bones. Last night I really thought she'd pass during the night - I talked to her and held her for a long time.

If she was in obvious pain, we'd have put her down last week, but she's not - clear-eyed, pleasant, calm, just terribly thin and moving like an old, old person.

After her pill last night (during which I noticed she had terrible breath) I poured out the juice from some tuna into her bowl. She - the doddering, we'd-swear-two-breaths-from-the-grave cat went to town. Cleaned the bowl and miaowed for more.

Today Bear went and bought some soft catfood, and she's been wolfing it down. Now we think that part of the problem might be that her mouth hurts her.

Is this the solution? Will there be a happy ending for Panda Bear?
Possibly - probably not.
She has an appointment at the vets' office on Thursday, and she may not come home.

But I feel better that she's not starving to death.

7 comments:

My float said...

Poor little cat. Hope she comes home on Thursday.

Major Bedhead said...

That totally sucks, dgb. Losing a pet is so tough. Let us know how it goes on Thursday.

Angewl said...

I am so sorry. This must be so hard for all of you.

I hope everything turns out for the best.

{{{HUGS}}}

Cat, Galloping said...

i hate these dying pet stories. i'm sorry.

MsCellania said...

Oh, that's so sad! And good on ya for figuring out what would get her to eat. I will have to remember to tell other friends with old kitties about the soft food in case of sore mouths. Makes sense.

I have an aged bunny. He is still looking pretty good, but I am noticing that he's getting more frail - can't do as much as he did just 6 mos ago. I am paying lots more attention to him.

I wish pets lived longer - parrots do, but then you'd have a parrot...

Anonymous said...

vickee makes me laugh... I used to like birds, but ever since my in-laws got their conure/demon my affinity has sorely waned. Birds aren't as much fun as mammals.

I'm sorry about the cat. It's the worst part of having pets, watching them grow old. I hope the soft food gives her a bit more time, and if not, then it's nice that she gets to have her gourmet meals at this point of her life.

K said...

Poor kitty! So nice that she has you to help her to be comfortable during her long trip to that big catnip-covered scratching post in the sky. Hope she's doing better today!

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...