Tuesday 18 July 2006

night owl

The last few weeks have been like boot camp for the boy.

He's been running, jumping, swimming, bike riding, ball kicking, swinging, kite flying and doing calisthenics.

No, he hasn't been invited to join the army.*

This new regimen of all action! all the time! is a last-ditch effort by Bear and I before we break down and start writing to boarding schools in the Northern Territories. (And his father won't let me go all Monks of New Skete and run him behind the car.)

Cass, you see, has decided that he need never sleep again.
And we are strenously protesting, hence the go baby go! marathon of sports and play.

So far, it's worked reasonably well. So today, there was a lot of running and jumping, and then a lot of this:



And we went for a walk. And then he showed me how he can snorkel in the tub. And then bed. Three stories, a pee, a drink of water, lots of kisses, his nightlight on, his fan going. Beau and Charlie snuggled in. Prayers.

Ahhhh, I think, exhaling. There is silence. Girlie is sacked out, boyo is headed off to dreamland. Mentally high-fiving myself, I flip on the taps for a shower.

But I'm wrong.

Mo-ommy?

I'm decidedly too old for this.



* PLEASE click on that link if you have kids. PLEASE. Incredibly scary stuff.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link, kiddo. I'm still in shock. Though after 5 years of this particular President, I don't know why I'm surprised. Good post, by the way.

Sweet Coalminer said...

I just lost a comment?

Unbelievable. I agree with Wordgirl: I am surprised, but I do not know why I am surprised. Three more years.

I would seriously go Jerry Springer on a military recruiter calling my minor child.

Major Bedhead said...

I opted my son out of that program and as far as I know, he never got a call from a recruiter. He'd have told them where to get off if they had, though. He's got no time for the military or Bush or any of that crap.

That is very scary stuff. I absolutely loathe that No Child Left Behind shit.

Anonymous said...

I had lots of those calls when I was finishing high school.

My nephew has boycotted sleep as well. I wonder why they do that?

My float said...

That IS scary.

On the bright side, your day sounds warm and wonderful! Enjoy them...we're freezing over here in Australia and I was very jealous to see the beautiful blue of the pool...which is something we won't be seeing for another two or three months at least!

Angewl said...

i have yet to click the link and afraid to, now.

sounds like its wearing the rest of the family out. lol

Lily said...

mmmm... got any room in Canada?

Good luck on the "wear the boy out" plan -- I've been trying that campaign lately too -- just to preserve the nap, I'm not ready to give up the nap.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...