Wednesday 26 July 2006

bits and bytes

I could never, ever be an Early Childhood Development Worker. I love my children. I like small groups of kids. Having to face clamouring hordes of ankle-biters day after day, explaining how the pudding today is for painting not eating, and the soapy water basin is (today only!) for playing in?

I'd rather have a root canal James Frey style. (fakey James Frey style.)

**********************************

Yesterday I took the kidlets back to the pirate park, watching for suspicious damp patches of sand and keeping a jaded eye out for other families. R is 21 months. Are they supposed to be doing this?



Because she scared the heck out of me.
She was perfectly happy, scampering up and sliding down, while I was awash in visions of cut lips and screaming. It's not so fun watching them grow up.

***********************************

Speaking of growing up, we were in another park a few days ago and there were two girls there, eight and nine, swinging and talking loudly about tampons.

And while I was pondering what (if anything) I knew about tampons at the age of nine, one of them called C that 'weird boy' while he was playing King of the Mountain.
And he heard her.
And was upset.

So, he marched up to her and said (loudly to cut through the tampon talk)
"Why do you say I'm weird?"
And she fluttered and stammered and avoided my eye (I was busy giving the Death Glare) and finally croaked out that he was playing in the dirt.
And, Lord love him, Cass looked at her and said
"Do you want to play?"
and when she said no (with much giggling)
he said
"I'm asking because it's nice to ask. It's not nice to call people names."
And marched off.

I bought him an ice cream on the way home. Because it is nice to ask.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That just goes to show that C has an amazing, amazing mom. You're doing great.

Trina said...

Great job, mommy and Cass!! That kind of thing just breaks my heart - I can't stand the thought that anyone would be mean to my babies. Good for him for standing up for himself. He put that girl properly in her place! Good boy.

Oh, and my little one is 21 months old and is a climber just like Rosey. And, like you, I have several mini heart attacks every time I watch her attempt to climb something (anything) at the park (or anywhere else).

Trina said...

oh yeah - how old is your son again? I'm thinking 5ish... Mine is 4. :)

Angewl said...

WAY TO GO C!!! that is awesome! what a smart and kind and kick-ass kid you have there.

I know that was one of many very proud moments you will be having.

Hug him for me.

S is starting to climb like that. Although i ahve not taken her to the park yet. I know, bad me. Waiting for her to strt walking well enough and not just crawl through the mulch.

Jess said...

spang - Thanks. I'm amazed at how much I love this kid. Even on his bad days.

SAHM - Cass is almost five - come October he'll be 'FIVE, Mommy. FIVE!'

Ang - You just wait. S is going to get her motor running and be off soon - it wouldn't surprise me if she left skidmarks in the dust.

Shinny said...

Wow! I have trouble at 39 confronting people like that and your son just goes and does it with no prodding by mom. You have an amazing boy there. Can you give lessons on how to raise a strong child? Even though Alex is going to be 13 in a couple months, I don't think he has the balls to do something like that. Good job Mommy!

MsCellania said...

Oh, I LOVE your son for his bravery! Really good show!

I am hoping mine can do this one day. But for now? They just get their feelings hurt and we work on what could be said, next time. *sigh*

Suse said...

As my mum would say, 'You've brung him up good and proper.'

(She wouldn't really you know. She speaks beautifully. I've had wine. Does it show?)

Major Bedhead said...

Oooh, that's a total burn. And from a four year-old! Go, Cass.

Boo climbs like that. Scares the bejesus out of me every single time. I do my best not to hover, but oh man, she's putting serious greys in my hair.

Sweet Coalminer said...

She's a climber! Lucky you! I've heard so many scary tales from moms. Watch that girl!

And what a good boy. You're such a great mom.

Jeanne said...

My kids were all climbers like that.

And ditto on the amazing boy! I wish I had had even a quarter of that confidence and good sense when I was that age.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...