Wednesday 4 January 2006

in the shit

He's stepped in the shit now.

No, not the four year old. The Doofus I Married.

Rosey has had hair since birth. She came out with a fine crop of curly black hair (minus the crooked swipe the NICU nurses took off her bangs - okay, I get it, lifesaving (or at least monitoring) measures, but REALLY.
Once that grew back in, I started buying barrettes and pony tail holders, and plotting hairstyles. I liked having a girl, you see. I was also thrilled at the thought that I wouldn't have to scotch-tape bows to my daughters' head. (My aunt, an extremely fair skinned red-head, had no hair until she was two. Looking at the photo albums is a nightmare. At one point I thought my grandparents had some sort of psychotic break and dressed my uncle in flowered dresses and pinafores until he went to school.)

Roseys' hair is getting lighter, and longer. Her hair pattern is the same as her big brothers (which they got from me, the poor things) - all their hair grows forward. So her bangs have been getting longer, and longer.
The D.I.M. and I were on the same page at that point. Most girl-babies I have seen with haircuts (before the age of two) look scalped. So we both told people "Oh, no. We're just going to let her hair grow for awhile." We both became really good at the one-ponytail-on-top-of-the-head routine, and I was pretty quick with the wee braids and the ponytails.
At Christmas, the in-law murmuring grew louder. Rosey's hair was just long enough to swoop it behind her ear - okay, it wouldn't stay, but soon she would have one-length hair, and then - this would all be easy. I bought some pretty sparkly bobby pins and captured her renegade bangs.
At New Year's, FIL cornered me. 'When are you going to cut her hair?' I went into the song-and-dance (Tra-la-la! We're not! Get over it!) Bear.....was silent.

It was at that point that I should have known.

Last night I went to bed early. Both kids were up. Bear was doing Daddy duty, and I wanted to read and fall asleep. Besides, it was his night to give the kidlets their bath.
When I woke up this morning and went to take Rosey out of her crib, something looked different. But she stank a bit and I hadn't had coffee, so downstairs we went to remedy both problems. It wasn't until I was dressing her and plotting what hairthings would match her clothing (yes, I know, total weeny mom moment) when I NOTICED.

Dipshit had cut her hair. There was a growl of rage burrowing up in my gut. When I finally screamed, I think the windows rattled.
Bear came charging downstairs. 'What? What's wrong? Is Rosey okay? Ohhhh...yeah. That. I love you, remember?' But I was too far gone down the road towards mad to appreciate cuteness.
'What' I hissed 'DID you DO?' And it's a darn good thing Rosey only says mama, dada, and unh at this point, or else she would have learned a whole lotta new words.

Okay. We all know I suck with scissors. There was no way Rosey would sit still and let some stranger trim her bangs, so a salon visit was out. He took it upon himself to cut her hair because, as he said, defensively, 'It was in her eyes!' It's been in her eyes for months, ding-dong.

He will suffer for this. For months. Slowly. Or at least as long as it takes for her hair to grow back.

12 comments:

Cat, Galloping said...

so... d'you guys look alike now? ;-)

rae ann said...

OMG! I would have wrangled his neck and done things to him he would never forget! woulda let him slink around with his tail between his legs for weeks! i don't blame you for being so upset... seriously. that's awful.

Jess said...

Oh, Cat, RA, it's so AWFUL. He lopped off her bangs and the little pieces over her ears in this straight goddamn line - she looks like an eighties rocker....
I'll send you pictures later, once I can stop tearing up.

rae ann said...

at least she still has her cute nose and her bright eyes. she's adorable and maybe you can fake it with those bobby pins and little clips until it grows again...? does your well intentioned (but still unforgivable) DH realize what he's done yet?

Angewl said...

I am so sorry! I am practically in tears here!! She's beautiful, no matter the hairstyle. I can totally understand you're being pissed!! Smack him upside the ehad for me!!!

(I never thought of SCOTCH TAPING the bows in!!! Thanks for the suggestion!!! LOL)

Josi said...

Oh Jess I'm so sorry. I'd be a little miffed if Luke did that if we had a girl.

Major Bedhead said...

Ooooh, he should be thanking his lucky stars that he doesn't have us closer to harrass and harangue him. I can't believe he had the nerve to do that! Mark keeps threatening to cut Isobel's little wisps of hair. She does have sort of a mullet going right now, but IT WILL GROW!

At least you have that consolation - it will grow out again. Hopefully he's learned his lesson and doesn't do anything boneheaded like this again.

Jess said...

Bonehead, thy name is Husband.

A week and I won't be so startled when I look at her....but for right now, he's treading a very careful path, m'friends, a veeery narrow path.

Crazy MomCat said...

Oh, MAN would I be pissed! We caved on my daughters and had her bangs and ends barely trimmed at 18 months. But, I have the same issue because the back is curly and the front grows straight down into her face. It's too fine to stay up in a ponytail holder and clips barely work IF she leaves them in.

OK, your husband owes you now. A LOT. Make sure you remind him of that frequently and cash in on some "me" time or something!

April said...

Oy.... vey....

Oh that's so awful... so awful. Poor munchkin.

Suburban Turmoil said...

Oh, the nerve. If my husband did that, he'd be in BIG TROUBLE!!

Tessa said...

bright side? : Your cutie is not old enought to be self-concious.
Ah well, I'll be thinking about growing hair your way!

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...