Sunday 19 April 2009

two award-winning parental moments

Rosey was busy with a coloring pad and fancy new crayons while the sermon went on. She requested that I draw things (a heart, my name, a bunny) in a medium whisper, but stayed still and relatively unobtrusive next to me.

The first reader went up. She found her place, pushing her spectacles back on her nose, and began to speak about how we should all be believers.

R stirred. 'Beavers? Does she mean the ones behind our house?'


And I didn't realize how much we push don't play with your food until tonight. Both the kids sat, sharing uneasy looks, eyeing their plates. Finally Cass spoke up.
'We eat these at school. Can I use my hands?'

I nodded. R was clearly bewildered at all the little dishes of toppings. 'Is this salad?'

Lips twitching, Bear showed her how to pick and fill her taco.

'So much for diversity, huh, Jess?'

8 comments:

Bronwyn said...

Beavers. That is hilarious. When I was a kid I thought "righteousness, peace and joy" was "Rice Krispies and joy". I totally get your kid.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

You got award winning kids......in the comedy category! :)

alison said...

Bwahahaha. I guess that makes regular church-goers "True Beavers". Rosey is funny,.

Anonymous said...

Rejoice All Ye Beavers! I'll be humming it all day long.

Ree said...

hahahahhaha. I guess Taco Bell isn't on your list of awesome restaurants, eh? ;-)

Woman in a Window said...

Yes, we should all be good beavers.

My float said...

Beavers indeed!

(How good was she to stay so quiet during the sermon.)

I look forward to the day when mine is as good as yours when it comes to listening about 'don't play with your food'!!

A. Nonny Mouse said...

That reminds me of the 23rd Psalm where it says "Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life." And the joke that goes with it: Who are Shirley Goodness and Ann Mercy and why are they following me?!

Along the same lines, the hymn with the chorus "And He walks with me, And He talks with me" has a joke that has a kid saying he knows God's name. It's Andy.

I'm still in the USE YOUR SPOON stage with Lucy and sometimes Emily. It's hard as a kid to know when it's OK to use your hands. I remember asking my mom at nearly every meal if this was a dinner that I could eat with my hands. And then the happy days when she would say yes. :)

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...