Sunday 26 April 2009

there's a beach in my memory

Last night the scent of spring was wafting through the house (First night this year with the windows open! Yay!) and I discovered that I've forgotten things. Things I thought I'd never forget.

Now, I've lived away from home for ten years now, and while I think I could find my way around my old stomping grounds pretty well, I'm distressingly foggy on some points.

Where was that old beach with the overgrown bushes and rotten tire swing? It was out back of a deserted old house, but how did I get there?? All those country lanes stretch out green and tree-shaded in my memory, but which one would I take? Would I remember if I was riding a bike?

Part of me wants to blame it on moving thousands of miles away and having a life (husband, kids, jobs, etc) during that time, while the other part? Shrieks in dismay that I don't remember and how could you forget the place where S first kissed you? What is wrong with you?

Funny, how I remember the moonlight on the beach and the shuss of the waves on the pebbles and thousands of other sounds of that night and can't remember how to locate it.

6 comments:

Woman in a Window said...

I bet your body would find it. i bet.

Vanessa said...

I've moved around so many times I know this feeling well. "Now I know it was just right around here somewhere !

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Perhaps, such places remain even more special in our memories than they can in reality.

barbra said...

What Lone Grey Squirrel said.

This is why facebook scares me. I am sure that my memories of some of those people are better than the reality. I think it might be better to leave it alone... let me have my memories as they are...

meggie said...

I was horrified to find I had forgotten how to get from city center to the house we once had by the beach. I lived there for 20 years too!

crazymumma said...

i love the word shuss when given to the sound of a beach.

memory. so fluid. so shuss

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...