Wednesday 31 December 2008

fireworks in the snow

New Years Eve isn't a big deal around here.

I mean, we don't pretend nothing happens, we just don't plan things that are very exciting. The old the kids are still small excuse.

Tonight, though, was fun.

Bear's brother brought by (try saying THAT five times fast!) some fireworks.

And then the forecast called for snow. And then it was supposed to be nasty snow. And then the blizzard warnings began.....

But the kids knew. And they were mightily disappointed.

So we conferred. B took a recon of the surrounding area and pronounced it okay.

Everyone bundled up, and we trekked into the back yard.

And it was magical.






By the end my camera was covered in snow (see big wet lens, above) and refusing to shoot. Not one more picture. As in 'It's wet and cold and snowing on my delicate circuitry and why, again, are we out in this slop???' Or maybe the battery was beyond depleted. Whatever.

We shot off about forty fireworks, in all sorts of colours, and it was gorgeous.

I'd never seen fireworks in the snow before.

The rest of our night? Probably Bugs Bunny re-runs until the kiddles shuffle off, then shrimp and crab in butter sauce and watching the ball drop. Board games in front of the woodstove.

Happy 2009, everyone. Here's to a big ol' sparkling year full of good things for you and yours.

15 comments:

Woman in a Window said...

Happy New Year! It's weird to think of so many people out there in the world dipping foods right now celebrating will I eat Ringalos off my fingers. Enjoy the crab!

Stomper Girl said...

Happy New Year Jess and family! Backyard fireworks are the BEST, we used to do every year when I was growing up. Now that I have kids of my own I live in a Nanny State where fireworks are illegal unless handled by professionals at an organised event. Not nearly as much fun.

Suzanne said...

That sounds so pretty, the reflection of the bursts of color on the show...

jAMiE said...

Wow, fireworks in the snow...magical indeed!

I hope you and your family have a Happy, Healthy New Year!!!

OvaGirl said...

This looks divine, slop or no.Happy New Year and much jollinesss for 2009!

Anonymous said...

I've never seen fireworks in the snow either, but it sounds like a lot of fun. Definitely a great way to ring in the new year.

kimmyk said...

happy new year to you and your family!

i love that last picture. wet or not-it's pretty darn cool.

Anonymous said...

You too! Have a wonderful 2009!

Anonymous said...

Wow, fireworks and snow?! I've never seen that before! That's pretty darn cool!

Dory

Loth said...

What a great way to spend Hogmanay! We go off out to a hill near our home and watch Edinburgh's fireworks display from a safe distance - ie far enough away from the inebriated crowds in the city centre to avoid becoming intoxicated just by breathing in! It was fun, but not as much fun as your fireworks, I suspect.

Anonymous said...

Happy 2009!! Your NYE DOES sound like it was fun.

witchypoo said...

There were fireworks here in the snow as well, but I was too tired to go and see.
Still blizzarding.
I refuse to see that as an omen.

Elizabeth said...

My neighbour did fireworks. We only heard them at 11 o'clock or so.
The kids had a party, not us. I'm still waiting for our turn!
Happy New Year to you and yours!

Anonymous said...

we did fireworks in the snow, too. of course, i spent the whole time hovering around and yelling into the night: "be careful, john! those things are dangerous!"

god, i'm so old.

crazymumma said...

Stunning photos!

And a happy new year Jess!

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...