Saturday 28 June 2008

coming around again

My parents, being the '60's flower-children-dippy-hippies that they were (God love 'em - and I do) sang me lullabies.

But along with the 'All The Little Horses' and 'You Are My Sunshine's',

there were the Beatles.
I grew up with a lot of the Beatles music running as a background to my life.
It was a fall back when I just.could.not.sing one more lullaby

(ask me sometimes about the twelve verses of Blackbird)

and good bouncy music for the car during teething time. (It was during a rendition of 'Yellow Submarine' that I figured out that Cass would sleep through the most belly-wrenching grippe if he was in a moving car)



But the car seats are turned forward now, (and have been for a long time) and those Beatles have faded away for awhile, replaced with other songs.

Until today, when Rosey leaned forward and said 'Turn the music up, Mama! I love this song!'

I was taken aback as she began to sing 'O-saba-dee, saba-da'

Life goes on, eh?
(La lala life goes on.)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cute!

"Beatles 1" came out when Grace was two, so that was the first album she really listened to. To this day, "Love Me Do" is still one of her favorites.

Anonymous said...

My youngest son started out loving the BeeGees first, then went to the Beatles, which he still sings daily, I think, some 20 years later.

Woman in a Window said...

Sure does. With horror I'm realizing what my kids internalized when I thought they were young enough to not quite get it yet. Nine Inch Nails, anyone?

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Your kids are growing up right. Keep up the good mothering.

molly said...

I never tire of the Beatles, and not just because they were the soundtrack to my youth! My parents thought they were "scruffy!" Imagine! Now they look so cleancut in those early pics! Amazingly talented guys.....Your Rosie obviously has extremely good taste!

Anonymous said...

The extent of my parents' musical education was mainly us sitting in the backseat of the car while they listened to Perry Como. My parents were NOT modern people.

Stomper Girl said...

We had a lot of Beatles growing up too.

My Cherub often requests the Lallow Sumbaween.

Vanessa said...

Oh I love that song too! You can't help but feel happy when it comes on the radio!

kittenpie said...

I heard a lot of Beatles, too, and find them wonderfully relaxing, much of it... Yes, my parents were a little on the hippie side, too.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...