Sunday 22 June 2008

it's just her name that's a flower

Rosey and I went to the farm market yesterday.

Now granted, it's getting late to plant. But the ten packets of wildflower seeds that the kids helped me plant haven't shown a green bit yet, and interest is fading fast.

So we went to re-stock.

I went looking for sunflowers. Bright, blowy flowers that grow quickly. (and look interesting while doing so) I also wanted pansies and johnny-jump-ups, and couldn't find any.*

R circled the tables, pointing out different colours.

Then I got a brainstorm. If I wanted her to be interested, shouldn't she pick what was going in there?

Patting myself on the back**, I squatted and told R she could pick a flower to put in the yard. Without hesitation, she pointed - picking a leafy one with a gorgeous orange-yellow flower. She was certain that was what she wanted, too.

Which is why if you drive by my yard this summer? We live in the house with the pumpkin vines curling among the flower bed.

It's going to be gorgeous.



*The staff informed me that those are all gone now.
**O whut a gud parent am I!

16 comments:

Woman in a Window said...

That is so cool. That's one of our all time best things - looking forward to our fall harvest. I should go out and replant summore pumpkins 'cause the last 2 plantings got washed out! Damned rain. So much fun, though!

Anonymous said...

Man oh man! This post gave me a good hardy laugh! Pumpkins seeds are a great choice! Are they pie pumpkins or the big guy? No doubt about it, you ARE a GUD MOM!

mamatulip said...

I laughed so hard at this I had tears in my eyes.

Christy said...

That is going to be great!

Maybe you can grow one of those ginormous ones.....

There's a really good kids book about that...wish I remembered the title....

Cat, Galloping said...

don't worry. those probably won't grow either.

(i'm just bitter because my 10 packets of seeds sprouted nary a flower either. wtf? my interest is officially waned!)

Anonymous said...

Pansies and johnny jump ups - early spring flowers. I'd rather have the pumpkin!

Anonymous said...

Cute and hopefully you'll have pumpkins for Halloween.

Jeanne said...

Well, for what it's worth, I once tried to grow carrots in a flower garden, because to me a GARDEN was a garden... a VEGETABLE garden. I'd never heard of having just a flower garden, and I was a lot older than her too.

Stomper Girl said...

It'll grow quickly at least.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Cool. You'll be such a big hit come Halloween.

Unknown said...

Hee hee!! That's brilliant!!
It's the in-thing now to combine veggies in flower gardens, just call it companion planting ;)

Run ANC said...

Yeah, but how awesome would it be to have pumpkins growing in your garden? Cinderella, indeed.

blackbird said...

We had a beautiful pumpkin vine last year - no pumpkin, but the vine was pretty.

Josie said...

Oooh, roasted pumpkin seeds. I love those and pumpkin pie with whip cream.
I'm coming to your house in the fall:)

alison said...

We grew pumpkins in a small bed right up against the house the year before last. I got reeeel tired of mowing around the vines that grew out onto the lawn. We did get a pumpkin though, and th girls were delighted. Good luck with it!

Caro said...

I think pumpkins are cool.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...