Monday 16 June 2008

influences

R was happily playing with her Barbie dolls, enacting some huge thing about two dogs and who got to feed them and the fluffy cat whose water bowl the dogs weren't allowed to touch. (Really, it's amazing what goes on in her head.)

I decided to play. 'What are your dolls names?'

R put her finger on the redhead. 'Moya.' The brunette. 'Nadoila' The blonde 'Linka.'


I tried to think if I had any old termpapers buried in my room. Or if we had a pop-up version of The Brothers Karamazov. All I could come up with was a tattered VHS of Anastasia, and she hadn't seen that in months.

____

There's a corner of our yard where the wildflowers grow rampant. We've never planted seeds or moved plants in that area, they just flourish there. I found out why today. It seems the ash pile (that lump behind) leaches into the ground with the rain, and the wildflowers looove them some increased ph levels.


Pretty, no?
____

I'm getting really excited about the BFF trip. It's coming up in 32 days!!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kids are amazing!

I like your wild flowers; how neat they would grow there and beautify your yard. Enjoy!

Woman in a Window said...

Is that the Northern Lights "round here?" And do you guys heat with wood? All those ashes...you've probably already told me. My memory is like a sieve.

tut-tut said...

I like that banner! Yes, are those the Northern Lights???

Anonymous said...

I love wildflowers. I'm hoping mine come up this year.

Jess said...

You guys are so quick!

Actually, I don't know what 'round here' is - my son has a very old digital camera that he took on a class trip to Halifax and I just liked that one. We do heat mainly with wood, although I love the furnace going on in the morning and warming the floor, so not entirely...(much to B's chagrin, who would like us to be as pioneerish as we could be)

Thanks tut-tut! There's a playground near us with these wonderful 1950's animals in it.

Don Mills Diva said...

Is it wrong that even though I'm going to BlogHer I'm sad to be missing BFF?

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...