Tuesday 19 September 2006

sigh

Busy, busy day at work. Seriously. The office I work in is missing a central player and another woman and I are playing this extended game of Round Robin to fill the seats. I'm getting the impression it's starting to hack the field workers off, never knowing who did what or whom they can ask questions, but this was set up by the boss and god forbid there be a change it would take an earthquake to shift things, now that a decision has been made.

Anyway, the job I'm doing today. I have all sorts of respect for the woman who usually does this job - she can toss off paperwork like a crack-addicted ferret rooting for a fix...but being down a person has set the office back and now I'm starting at six weeks of paperwork. Six weeks worth. It totally covers my desk and goes on, in piles, onto the floor.

Sneeze around my desk and it's your life.

So today I'm snowed under with paper. And trying hard to make sense of stuff that's more than a month old.

Anyway, this is not a complaint. I like having stuff to do - and this will keep me busy for quite awhile.

The real thing that's making me sigh so heavily?

Having people I work with drop little weeny things on my piled-high, obviously crowded desk that mean I have to stop the enormous projects I'm tooling along with and pay attention to three or four teeny things. Usually by the time I've put out those fires, I've completely lost my place on the biggies...

sigh.

This wouldn't make me upset 'cept for the niggly little fact that their desks are clean. Spotless, as a matter of fact - with empty in-trays.

I don't think my in-tray has seen daylight in months.

This all makes me wonder - besides delegate, what are these people doing?
And HOW do I get their job?

1 comment:

MsCellania said...

Oh, that sounds frustrating! I had that at one job - I was a 'paralegal' but treated as a 'secretary' alot of the time. It sounds like jobs need to be redefined around there. A simple photo of everyone's desk, and then your desk, might do the trick at a group meeting.

I admire anyone who can work in an office. I cannot. For just such reasons.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...