Sunday 26 February 2006

chicken again

I want a cook.

I love cookbooks, love recipes and flavors and tinkering with old favorites to make new ones - but damn, I'm tired of actually cooking. It's hard to be creatively stimulated when the ones around you don't care - Bear's favorite dish is a heaping plate of 'I don't care, Jess, whatever you want to make' (as long as it's not spicy) and the kids would be happy with peanut butter sandwiches, baby carrots, and ketchup.

I need to branch out. New cuisines. New ideas. I'm sick of the same old grocery list, sick of planning the same meals.

I'm sick to death of chicken. Barbecued, baked, fricasseed. On the bone or off - it doesn't change the flavor much at all, does it?
It all...tastes like....chicken.

Someday I'm going to cook alligator and not tell them. "Go ahead," I'll smile, offering seconds. "I made this just for you."

5 comments:

rae ann said...

god i miss the days before kids when i could spend an afternoon trying out a new recipe. i realized the other day that unless part of dinner comes out of a jar or a can, we probably won't eat it. that sucks. what happened? when did dinner become such an afterthought.

i say go with the 'gator idea. maybe try some buffalo while you're at it. i've heard that both are tasty.

Susan said...

Do your kids put the katchup on the carrots or the pb&j?

I only ask because Charlie has done both.

Joe said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joke said...

GRRR. Typos.

You know, you CAN branch out to other members of the poultry family.

Fortunately for me, my wife has a greater terror of cooking than she has a dislike for my "not normal" cuisines.

-J.

Major Bedhead said...

I loathe chicken. Unless it's deep fried in a cast iron skillet. I'll eat it, but I don't like it at all.

Buffalo is good. So are antelope and ostrich.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...