Thursday 18 November 2010

halloween leftovers

Brought to mind by Kyran

What? You don't still have a pile of candy? You must not have a nine-year old who is OBSESSED with making it last until Christmas.

No, the costumes. Oy, the COSTUMES.

Between work and life and the crazed-errand-running soft shoe shuffle a few days before Halloween, I had an epiphany.
An epiphany, right there in the middle of the costume aisle.

We had PLENTY of costumes already. They were all in the dress-up box. So, I bustled home and grandly (and not at all nastily) told the kids that this was the last year I was going to buy costumes.

You would have thought I had declared that this year we would be collecting candy for the express purpose of throwing it in the mud and then feeding it to the dog. There was a bit of self-righteous snorting. There may have been some weeping.

But I held firm. After all, part of the fun of Halloween was creating a costume!

Cass had changed his mind, again, and now wanted to be a zombie. So off I went to the internet (god bless the internet) to learn how to do zombie makeup. He was mollified when I promised him he'd look cool.

R wanted to be a witch, with the regulation black dress and hat - but not an evil witch, a good witch. Hmm.

I think it worked out well.



 He looked rotten - and rotted! - and old. Several adults took a step back when he showed up on their doorstep and I think he enjoyed that the most of all.


And we added sparkly makeup to Rosey's all black get-up and she was sufficiently not-evil enough to suit her.

So, Halloween was great! Loads of candy, they walked all over and got tired and noone threw up this year (yay!) and I'd told them we were making the costumes next year and noone's face fell off from horrified disgust and well, that was fun, 'cause it's over.

So! To recap: Made the costumes this year, even though I had told the kids we'd buy them this year, make them next year.  Even got their acknowledgements that their friends thought the costumes were cool.

I was pretty darned pleased with myself.

Of course, last week I totally wasn't thinking when I threw a 70% off pirate sword and an 85% off goth-fairy set (wee black wings, headband, wand) into my shopping cart.

I blame the Halloween candy withdrawal.

7 comments:

Dawn said...

Ah But see, next year ( or in the next up to 10 years) when someone says "Man, I wish I had a sword" - you can rush out with your stash and be admired for your awesome powers to preternatural planning.

Dawn said...

PS Mine is eating two small pieces of her halloween stash RIGHT NOW.

Cat said...

They look AWESOME. Also glad you survived your flood. That looked scary v

Momma Sunshine said...

My girls still have a pile of candy, despite the fact that they ask for (and get!) treats from that bag every single day. I think we're definitely going to make it to Christmas in this house.

Unless I engage in another couple of PMS-fuelled candy bag raids. Shhhh! Don't tell my kids! ;-)

Pam said...

Those photos do illustrate the difference between boys and girls, don't they?!

Tulsa Court said...

so cute,nice pics plz develop it as much as possible,bst ov lck.

Video Interviewing said...

very nice post keep it up

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...