Saturday 9 May 2009

if a tree falls in the woods, do the birds stop and listen?

I'm torn between making soup and reading a book.

Not even a good book, really, a pot-boiler, but it sounds sort of decadent to curl up in a corner and get swept away for an hour or so to a place where children scream only when it furthers the plot and the weather is always a good indicator of what's coming up next.

It's grey and sodden today - a perfect day for soup: hot, nestled into blue and white bowls, small faces tipping down into the steam....hm. Chicken and white bean? Avgolemono?I would love to make reuben soup, but that's a crockpot recipe and I want it now.


Instead, I'll probably make chicken parmigiana and coax everyone into garlic bread-pasta carbohydrate-induced slumber.

Then, the livingroom, the lap blanket, the blessed silence....

will be mine.

13 comments:

Jen on the Edge said...

Sounds blissful.

Bronwyn said...

Yeah, I could totally go for that.

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a great plan!

Pam said...

Hope it worked.

Loth said...

At least you cooked for your family. I bludgeoned mine into a stupor with takeaway chips!

Ree said...

I took a nap on Saturday as well. Mine was interrupted by the clock striking on the wall - it was 5 pm.

Happy Mother's Day my friend!

Woman in a Window said...

uuummmm, soup. One the world's best inventions! (Happy Mother's Day!)

OvaGirl said...

ah...the blessed silence. I can only dream.
hope you had a silent and carbohydrate enriched mothers day! xx

alison said...

Mmmm, soup and books, what could be better?

BabelBabe said...

but but but...WHAT were you reading?

meggie said...

I must get out the soup recipes again! It is cold enough, goodness knows.

PunditMom said...

What I wouldn't give for a little book time, aside from the few minutes before I fall asleep at nite, and then I can't even remember what I read!

kittenpie said...

"where children scream only when it furthers the plot"

Oh, HOW I WISH!

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...