Tuesday 19 May 2009

the crickets chirp louder tonight

This morning was chilly and gray, with a heavy dew. I thought about laying a fire but held off for a few hours, opting instead to put on a sweatshirt and socks and go outside, sniffing in the good smells of fresh-cut grass and green wood, of twining, growing things and hearing the birds chirrup excitedly.

When the sun came out it was hurt-your-eyes dazzling. Scouring the last of the drabs away, it warmed the valley and shot sparkles through the river, making even the cormorants seem majestic and beautiful. The apple tree out back is beginning to show hints of pink where the flowers will be, and the watershed is a vibrant, almost lurid green - if you listen closely, you can almost hear the eager shoots shoving up through the muck into the light of day.

A day full of promise, of thinking of projects-yet-to-come, of dreaming about getting your hands dirty in the good black earth.

I don't know what the weather was like the day my father in law was born, but he -true to his personality! - chose a spectacular day to make his exit.

Rest in peace, Freeman. I like to think the clouds opened up and he went away on the sunlight and the blossom-scented breeze.


We're all going to miss you, Papa.

25 comments:

Suzanne said...

Jess, there are no other words. I am so very sorry for your loss.

alison said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. Condolences to your family.

Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

I am so sorry for you loss.

Ricki said...

I'm sorry Jess (((Hugs)) to you J and the kids.

BabelBabe said...

I'm sorry. Thinking of you.

mamatulip said...

You're all in my thoughts, Jess. My condolences.

Ree said...

My condolences to you and your family Jess.

Jen on the Edge said...

I am so sorry.

Stomper Girl said...

So beautifully written, so very sad. Thinking of you all. I'd ask your kinder or school, I know our creche had some nice books for children to help them deal with their loss.

Barb said...

RIP Free we will all miss you. Heaven got a new angel.Love to you all hug Bear for me.

Woman in a Window said...

Oh, love, that was beautiful. Every last drop. Sorry Jess. What a beautiful photo to put up, as well.

OvaGirl said...

Beautifully put Jess, a loving and evocative farewell. Very sorry for you and your family's loss. xx

Chantal said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. You wrote some beautiful words for your father-in-law. Take Care.

Loth said...

Beautifully poignant post Jess. Your family are in my thoughts.

velcro said...

what a beautiful way to say goodbye. I'm sorry for your loss Jess

Anonymous said...

Lovely prose and such an evocative photo. I am so sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute. My heart goes out to you and J and the little ones.
Love
Roz

Magpie said...

I'm so sorry. But I love that you pointed out that it was a beautiful day.

Yo-yo Mama said...

This was so beautiful and an incredibly touching tribute. My deepest sympathies with your families.

Patty said...

i'm so sorry for your loss.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Sorry for your loss. This post was very well written. Even as you acknowledge your father in law's passing, the post also conveys the feeling that he will always be there for your family in the day to day of everyday living. God bless.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

M&Co. said...

I am sorry for your loss. It IS hard to explain it to kids. Sometimes it's hard to explain to the grown-ups.

motherbumper said...

I am so sorry Jess, my thoughts are with you and your family. xo ~ katie and family

karengreeners said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Jess. May your father in law rest in peace.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...