Wednesday 4 February 2009

dear people, I am grumpy

Dear Facebook people:
First off, where in the hell are y'all from? I have a certain amount of blog friends on there, and a few high school and college people, and some local friends. Even some family. Some of you I do not know. You are either friends of friends, or (and this is the only thing I can figure out) you know my husband, troll his friend list, see me, and think AHA! She's local! I'm sure if Bear ran over me in the parking lot she would sympathise and then add me to your list.

People, this is just plain weird. I spend most of the time with new friend requests barking at Bear. 'Who's X So-and-So? She's on the local network - is she related to R So-and-So? How in the hell would I know her?'

And then I okay you, because I am polite, and you rattle around on my friend list until I grow a backbone and zap you off, because frankly? You're not doing me a darn bit of good there. Hearing that you visited Ted and Shirley yesterday and had a great time is fabulous - I'm so glad you're enjoying your winter and taking time to update the rest of us!- but since I don't know Ted, nor Shirley, it matters not to me. Ted Smith? Jones? Bundy??

Now cut this crap out. When you ask to be put on someone's friend list, there's a place where you can write down how you know someone. Do us all a favor and fill it out.

Dear Goodreads people-
I love Goodreads. I do. I read a lot, and it's fun to get book recommendations and ideas from other readers. Again, there's this 'friend me' thing going on. Last week, I was asked to friend someone living in Japan.

I've never been to Japan.

Is there some way you sort users by how many books they have in their libraries? Because I keep getting friend requests from people in the most unlikely places (Des Moines?? Minsk??) and with very few books or authors read in common. I don't post a lot of reviews (three or four a month?) or do anything particularly noteworthy - exactly where are people getting my name from to add me to their lists?

Again, I have nothing against making friends on Goodreads. Wanna friend me? Great! Just let me know where in hell I know (or should know) you from.


Thoroughly disgruntled,

Jess




13 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm with you! I can understand my sister in law friending me, because we are related. One of my best friend, whom she's met a half dozen times and never really had a phone conversations with? Not so much.

It is funny to look at the 'friends you may know' thing. Once in a blue moon, it comes up with someone I actually DO know. More often than not, I'll have a husband and wife as friends. By virtue of that, Facebook will say I 'may know' every single one of their friends!

Weirdest one is that a college friend from NY works for actor's equity and a friend from down here both know a person I suggested. Acting IS a small world. I don't know the guy, and I'm not going to friend him because he knows two of my friends!

Unknown said...

Oh, and you know you CAN minus people, right? Go to your name, click on privacy and -person's name whatever you don't want them to see.

I minused someone from my updates, lol! :)

Anonymous said...

A young inner city looking man who in his profile picture wore butt exposing baggy jeans, a tank top undershirt and a backwards baseball cap. I had to tell him that he had to find people that he knew in real life and not just try to befriend random middle aged housewives who still can't believe that every boy she went to high school with is bald and totally unrecognizable.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

I have banished my Facebook account into the realm of evil things!

witchypoo said...

I've been pretty speechy on Facebook since I found my long lost niece, so I won't ask you to friend me. It might be very boring for you.

Magpie said...

is weird. yes. i got a friend request the other day from someone that i don't remember, but who must have gone to high school with me because he's friends with two other people from my high school class. go figure.

Chantal said...

I love facebook except for that awkward friending thing. I have taken to saying yes to people I remember vaguely and then restricting them to only seeing my limited profile. Which now that I think about it is way more work than they are worth. Dam it from now on I will just ignore them!!! HA!

Stomper Girl said...

With the exception of 2 people (and man I wish I'd made the exception of them!) I'm only friends with people I want to be friends with. Including you sweetie:-)

Loth said...

I have yet to succumb to the Facebook phenomenon so I have no friends! Hurray!........?

meggie said...

I have noticed that too! I suddenly got a request for someone I have never known, will never know, & have no desire to know!
A bit like you, I live in OZ, not NZ now, so friends of friends in NZ are not likely to be known to me... or very seldom.
Another gripe I have is with the blog... the 'followers' -Suddenly I have over 300! I find that must be a lie. I suspect people just put themselves on there hoping someone will visit them. Most of them I have never had a message from, & when I got to look at them, I cant even read their language! No translator available.

BabelBabe said...

I ignore - officially - alot of people, but some of these other tips are about to be employed....

I admit to friending one or two friends of friends so we all could play WordTwist together - but we'd agreed to do that.

Teena in Toronto said...

I don't befriend non-friends on Facebook.

Happy blogoversary!

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is flossie 32 and I think you and first aid man knew me an my friend Tinny*LOL*

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...