Friday 10 March 2006

hello?

The Mom shield held up...mostly. I didn't get the full gamut like the rest of the house, just achiness and a sore tummy - so I went off for bed and left Bear to handle everything for twenty four hours. (he did a splendid job.) But now everyone is on the road to recovery, so no more vomiteous talk from me!

I'm even (sssh!) back at work today, busy as ever.

No news on my brother - of course, this only means that he's still in rehab and hasn't walked out or left the program, so in this case I guess no news is good news, but I wish I could talk to him.

I'd just have to figure out what, exactly, to say.

We have an odd relationship - we don't talk often, but when we do it's connective - he's like an old friend that I can catch up with once in awhile and feel good about it. Except now I feel like I let him down, like I wasn't there when he needed me.

I must get back to my roots - too many of my family are under this same 'catch ya later' umbrella - and I need to be the one to start trying to be closer.

Except, again, I have to figure out what to say.

5 comments:

Sweet Coalminer said...

I think you could say hi, how are you?

It's great you're taking the responsibility of keeping everyone close. Somebody has to!

Suburban Turmoil said...

I have an extended family like that. The pastor at my church is an amazing speaker and he kept saying that to mend fences with family, you need to stop thinking of the things they're doing wrong and instead call or visit and just apologize for what -you've- done wrong. Even if it's small. So after a year of hearing this, I took it to heart and called my dad and stepmom, who never ever call or have anything to do with me. I apologized for not calling them for so long. And it was amazing. For the first time, they actually admitted their faults and said they were sorry. It's still not a perfect relationship by any means, but they are calling now and trying to be more involved in my life. And once I made that call, I felt like the burden was lifted from me entirely.

All this to say, good luck! :)

Joke said...

BTW, my wife is the sort of person who gets sick and then has to make it obvious to all and sundry how miserable she feels.

Sucks about your brother...glad he seems to be making progress. Will be including y'all in my prayers & stuff.

-J.

Anonymous said...

There is the family we are born to and the family we choose -- both are sacred. Good luck with instigating connections. I'll keep your brother in my thoughts.

Amy N. said...

Hi, thanks for visiting. My brother-in-law is in rehab right now, also. It's so hard because we've all supported him for so many years through all his ups and downs, but in the end he'll only change if he wants to.

I'm sure your support means a lot to him and I hope he sticks with the program. Good luck!

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...