Monday 22 June 2009

tumpin'

Driving down the highway with two kids in the back - full of bubbles and chocolate and bonhomie - just a plain-jane day, went for a bicycle ride earlier but nothing really sensational happening and maybe we'll bake something tonight.....

and suddenly the skies OPENED UP and there was a DELUGE and the back of the car fell silent
and there was a whiff of consternation in the warbly voice that whispered
'Mama, why is the rain thumping so hard on the car?'

and then there was a CRACK OF THUNDER

and the kids both went white and shoved their noses against the glass while straining to still hold hands across the car seats

and you can't make the weather change - can barely see to drive the car - and oh, God, the road is flooding and am I sliding? am I skidding? This feels like a skid.... turn into the skid (I think) and my GOD the water is fountaining up over the car into the opposite lane

and from the back seat: 'Mama?'

What would you do?

There is nothing else. You must not let these children feel like they are anything but safe with you. This means that this can NOT be scary.

So, you work one hand across the dashboard until you feel the volume knob and you turn it waaay up and wag your fool head off to Crazy Frog.

Which makes them giggle. AND the rain is slowing to a dull roar. Success!

So, apologies to anyone who passed me on the way back home today. I wasn't ignoring you. And I wasn't having a seizure.

I had some dancin' to do.

14 comments:

Stomper Girl said...

Oh my God, you are so brave and cool. I try really hard not to let my kids know how frightened I get in thunderstorms and luckily we don't have many here in Melbourne.

Also very cool that in the middle of that terror you could recall how to drive in a skid. I bow to you.

EarnestGirl said...

Smart, brave Mama.
Also, very nicely written. No need for the drama with language so right.

Way to ride out the storm.

Chantal said...

My heart is thumping, whoa!

Ree said...

And frogs do well in water... so all is good, right?

;-)

I absolutely hate those "can't see out the window" thunderstorms...good for you for calming their fears.

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

You are superwoman, aren't you. Yes you are. You can fool me with the crazy dancing!

Loth said...

But....but.....surely it never rains in Nova Scotia??????

witchypoo said...

That rain was a right stinker! Good on you for navigating it with aplomb!

Pam said...

Hope you get done with that rain before the Loths arrive!

You do write well. I do enjoy your blog.

Mike said...

When all else fails, you gotta dance. Just dance your ass off...

mare ad mare said...

eep - that's some scary stuff. I've had my car hit by lightning before - with me in it! not fun... good thing the kids weren't around.
crazyfrog...nice

Yo-yo Mama said...

Been there, but not done that.

I'm afraid I nearly lost my poo with my son 'cause he wouldn't shut. up. Maybe if he had been frightened, I would've reacted differently...

Magpie said...

were you dancing the car? i do that sometimes, swinging the wheel from side to side, making the car rock.

alison said...

I hate those heavy rains when I'm in the car too. Kudos for not scaring the kids. Double kudos for voluntarily putting on Crazy Frog.

Woman in a Window said...

OH, Crazy Frog has saved us on many a stormy night, even if our storms were metaphorical.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...