Monday 28 August 2006

stuff that won't make a full post

Sorry I've been so quiet lately - but really, there hasn't been much to tell.
So - you guessed it folks, it's a bullet post!

  • I've been reading a bunch of books lately about small-town girls growing up poor in the South. I can't understand why this resonates with me - my mother is from Kentucky, but she grew up in the city and had a fairly affluent upbringing. A yearning for the old, old days? I wonder.
  • Have you ever seen something odd on a picture and then whenever you see the picture you can't help seeing whatever it was? I took this picture: (it may help to click on it so it gets bigger)



and I see a gargoyle face on the left branch. See?


and now I can't not see it.
  • I need to get a picture of Rosey in her Crocs - she loves her 'pink shoes' and has actually taken them to bed with her a few times.
  • It was Bear's birthday on Saturday - not a lot of celebrating, since there were various and sundry errands to be run and people to help out, so hopefully next week I can steal him for some couple time. (And, damn it, I want to eat somewhere without a kids menu!!)
  • I'm still trying to think of a crafty thing for the kids to do for Christmas presents - Cass is old enough now that he likes to make things for people. We have a few ideas but since I don't sew we're always looking.

Hopefully tomorrow will bring better blog fodder!

7 comments:

Lily'sMama said...

Lily loves her Crocs too - she always wants to have them on!

Bec said...

I tried on a pair of crocs last week and still can't decide if I love or hate them for grown-ups. any thoughts?

oh yes, I see the gargoyle! I have a great pic somewhere of a tree trunk with a 'gorilla'wrapped around it halfway up.

Anonymous said...

I see it!

Jess said...

Bec - I don't own any (wide feet)but the people who own them are hugely loyal - they must be comfy. Although they do remind me, a little, of Dutch clogs.

Major Bedhead said...

I can't decide on the Crocs either. Some that I see are kind of cute and others are just butt ugly. They remind me of Wellies. Ugly when they're just black, but cute as hell in polka dots or plaid.

I saw the gargoyle, too. Cool.

Anonymous said...

HOW CRAZY IS THAT GARGOYLE!!

Do you have a pottery place anywhere around you? My goddaughters made everyone Christmas ornaments last year at a little pottery studio in the area...

This site

http://www.make-stuff.com/projects/ornaments1.html

has a recipe for making clay ornaments out of flour, eggs, and your own oven. My favorite babysitter had us make these kinds of ornaments when I was little -- but they are extremely heavy, so keep the size of the ornaments in mind.

Poppy B. said...

What about using felt and glue to make tree ornaments, or pointsettia napkin rings, or coasters, or add jingle bells and make an ornament to hang from the doorknob, or ...

See how quick I am to come up with cute crafty things for other people to make? Pathetic, really.

We make cookies. And sometimes, not even those.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...