Tuesday 11 April 2006

hair wars

I have a feeling my childrens hair is going to be a sore spot between my husband's family and myself. After bangsgate, I'm not worried at all that Bear will (EVER) pick up a pair of scissors (EVER) but I have qualms that C will come home with a Marine 'do.

C likes to go with his grandfather to get his haircut. He likes the 'big boy' feel of going out alone with his Papa - and they always visit people and hit the McNugget store, so it's a fun day for the boy. Papa uses a barber, as most men of his age do - it's a small shop, with two chairs and a decidedly older clientele. I'm not sure if it's the smell of the hair tonic or the ride he gets in the old pump chair, but C loves it.
I'm a bit leery of the ancient barber, though - his hands shake and the clippers he uses are bigger than my boys' head. One split-second twist of the head (which C is prone to do) and oops - there went the side of his hair. The only salvage method? Why, shave 'er down, folks!

That, coupled with the strangeness of R's growing-out bangs (thanks to her Dad) means I get a few questions about their hair. I'm thinking of taking smallgirl to my hairdresser and seeing if she freaks out or not - maybe a bob? Do they do bobs anymore?? I've resigned myself that R's bangs are never going to catch up to the rest of her hair - so what do I do now?

I know. It could be worse. They could have no hair. Of course, with the threat of the buzzcut hanging in the air for boyo, that might be a possibility.

4 comments:

Joke said...

My two sons get not-quite-buzzcuts for the summer, somewhat longer on top the other 9 months.

We go religiously the 1st Friday of every month.

-J.

rae ann said...

oh i would feel exactly as you do! i would freak if anyone touched the hair on SJP's head without consulting me first. your fear is totally understandable.

Major Bedhead said...

ellen - An excellent idea!

Isobel has practically no hair as it is, although TCBIM and my sister insist she has a mullet. I've told them that if so much as one hair is touched, I will chop off their heads and use their skulls as beer steins.

Angewl said...

When it comes to the girl child, hubby and I agree. We will let it grow and grow.

The boy children are different. Hubby thinks the shorter the better. (like himself) I think they look sweet and not quite as mean with it longer. Since he IS the one getting them ready for school in the morning, I no longer argue QUITE as much about the cuts.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...