Saturday 18 September 2010

and then there were two

 Goodbye, Chumba.

We had to put down one of our cats the day before yesterday, and the house feels strange and well, stupid without him.
We were resigned to it - he's been going downhill for some time - but the stark silence where there was once a rumble purr will take some getting used to.

The other cats are unsettled and looking for him. Kate yowl and stares out the window, and won't be pacified with extra ear-rubs and attention. Lucy is digging her way through every closet in the house, keeping up a mumbled conversation, wondering where on earth her friend has gone.

The hardest part about being a pet-owner is knowing that you have to let them go. They depend on me for food and water and to help them feel better - even when the best thing you can do for them is to send them into that good night.

I knew that. I just didn't expect it to be so soon.


B and I are agreed that soon, we'll think about another cat. Maybe even a kitten this time. Just as soon as we can stop reaching up in the middle of the night to that place on my pillowcase where our ginger-furred kitty slept. But thirteen year old habits are hard to break.



*Even though this came out sad and raw (and I suppose in some ways we are) we're not all huddled in the fetal position, crying puddles. Actually, the kids and I are off to the farm market, the library and the grocery. Maybe we'll go walking in the park too. Pictures later!*

13 comments:

kyooty said...

I'm sorry for your family's loss. I only have 1 cat ,and she's been around for 14yrs. I don't know what I'd do without her but somedays? OMG I wish she would stop pooing on hubbie's clothes. :P (teaches him to pick them up? maybe)

Captcha says gersill, does that mean you need a gerbil? :P

Jen on the Edge said...

I'm sorry for your loss.

Yo-yo Mama said...

We actually would open up the cabinet and start to fill up the food bowl for the first couple of days after we lost our last one. Somedays, I swear I see him curled up on the floor only to realize it's just a blanket or a shirt.

Sorry to hear of your loss. He'll be getting lots of kitty love in kitty heaven.

menamoe said...

Hey Jess....it sucks...no two ways about it! Chico passed last weekend after a trip to the vet, lots of nursing on my part, and 2 weeks of being very sick on his... I miss him so much...expect I'll hear him, automatically check for him in his spot...yeah, I can relate

blackbird said...

Hey,
I'm sorry -

even when a pet is old the loss can be tough - for everyone.

Elizabeth said...

So sorry. Nothing makes this easier but time.

Anonymous said...

So sorry about your loss. Hope the kids are handling the loss well.

Loth said...

Ah, so sad. We went through the same experience at the end of last year. We had to get 2 new cats to make up for the one we lost.

Major Bedhead said...

Ah, that sucks, Jess. I'm sorry.

It's been about 9 months since Oscar disappeared and I still swear I hear him meowing.

Major Bedhead said...

Ah, that sucks, Jess. I'm sorry.

It's been about 9 months since Oscar disappeared and I still swear I hear him meowing.

Twisted Susan said...

My condolences.

Magpie said...

Aw, bummer.

I remember that thing of the other cat looking for the dead one. It was unspeakably sad.

Stomper Girl said...

So, so sad. Last night Basil went out of the backyard (again) and tears of panic came into Climber's eyes, he couldn't bear the thought of losing another kitty. But he came back so all was well.

Scratch your poor other lost kitties under the chin for me.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...