Wednesday 28 September 2005

a distinct lack of Mommy-help

When I was planning my wedding I watched the shows.
Once Upon A Wedding, A Wedding Story, Bridezillas, Wedding Dreams, Happily Ever After.
Who didn't? It made me feel part of a club, where everyone was doing interesting, different things, but were still working towards a common goal. Books and magazines filled in anything the tv missed.

When I became pregnant, I watched A Baby Story. Birth Stories. A Beautiful Start. Labor Ward. The Delivery Room. The Stork Stories.
There was another world of women out there, who could help me through this next life journey - who could help me figure out what to expect and what I should be prepared for. (At least that was the premise,ahem,but that's another post!)

Then, KA-BOOM! I'm a Mom now, and suddenly, there is next-to-no support.
Most books in the library go directly from birth to toddler, with next to no mention of the bit in-between, unless I want to know how to feed my child. The 'help' shows (Supernanny, Nanny 911) don't address babies, except in the 'You're spoiling that child!' realm. TLC has shows that detail first dates, proposals, weddings, childbirth, and then....cast adrift with nothing. I suspect we're all expected to freeze at that moment in our lives? Snapshot: Mama and Daddy hold baby, staring down at their bundle of joy, then fade to black.
So the years from infant to toddler are barely addressed, and the time from toddler (the Terrible Two's) to school-age are IGNORED.

I suppose TLC will jump back in with 'Intervention', right?

No comments:

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...