Thursday 11 August 2011

this is planet earth

I'm watching 'Planet Earth' (no, not the Duran Duran video, the BBC series) and listening to David Attenborough talk about baby polar bears and wondering why, for God's sakes, why, I watch these (admittedly gorgeous and interesting) nature programs when I know there's going to be at least one baby animal that doesn't make it.

Tonight's cute and cuddly snack du jour  (well, so far, we're still not sure if the polar bear cubs will survive) is a baby caribou.

And now it's on to birds, which are almost as sparkly and purty as my husband today after Rosey got after him with her Glitter Barbie makeup. (He said I could blog about it, but drew the line at photographic evidence, sadly.)

Crap. The wild dogs are after the impala. Y'know, I understand that this is real life and not a Gary Larson cartoon, but I still can't help wishing that the impalas could just catch a break.

Elephants swim, did you know? I mean, all four-feet off the ground swim? And how joyous they look, carrying their trunks over their heads and 'creek-ing' at each other.

So many creatures, all of us, inhabiting the same space.

This film makes me wonder what Lucy is thinking when she chews off the zipper pull on my purse (does the leather make her think she's hunting something?  Or is she just....delusional? However far back her 'hunting memories' go back, I have a hard time believing any of my calico house-cat's family brought down a cow.)

But then again, all things are possible here...on Planet Earth.


(And yes, I'm humming the bah,bah,bu-bah from the Duran Duran song. Of course.)

1 comment:

Jen on the Edge said...

Look now, look all around, there's no sign of life

Voices, another sound, can you hear me now?

This is planet earth, you're looking at planet earth

Bop bop bop bop bop bop bop bop. this is planet earth

What? Oh, sorry. I got distracted.

We have the Planet Earth series on DVD but haven't watched it yet. When it came out in the US, it was re-edited for American audiences and narrated by Sigourney Weaver and it was TERRIBLE. In fact, I'm pretty sure I blogged about it. So we watched only part of one episode, quit, then got the British version, and haven't gotten around to watching it. Our girls have seen parts of it, as it's popular with teachers.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...