Monday 20 October 2008

pieces of me

Tonight has been a remembering night - caused by what, I'm not sure. The turning of the seasons?

But I've been thinking, and remembering, and wondering where all my old friends have gone, and what they're doing.
People I never thought I'd think twice about after leaving high school float lazily through my mind, their faces unlined, their grins the same. Remembering their laughter.

Some days I wish I'd seen how all their lives played out. Facebook is a good thing, but hardly a substitute to kitchen-table talk and late-night laughing with friends.

I don't regret moving here, raising a family here or being here at all - I just wish I'd held the strings tighter to the ones at home.

I think it's time for a trip back - see a few girlfriends, laugh about our lives and re-connect.

Maybe at Christmas.

Hmm. More probably next year.

But it will be soon! I have things I want to show my children while they're still young.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy the autumn....


dig out the sweaters, and enjoy the scent of woodsmoke and crisped leaves that drifts near with each lungful of bracingly clean, cold air.

13 comments:

Sue said...

I think I have three friends from high school left. Hrm. You definitely need a girl's night out.

Stomper Girl said...

I hope you get to go back.

Anonymous said...

Your autumn description makes me homesick for the north.

Woman in a Window said...

It's hard to be away from your place, isn't it? When I was in one way it allowed me to rebuild my parameters. I could excape the baggage of what was once me. And now that I am home remade, sometimes it is tough to be independent from that old me but mostly it's just reaffirming to see that shadow of my old self. She walks with me, just a little behind.

Visit and be full! (Then you'll also realize just how full you are!)

Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama said...

It is always fun to catch up with old friends but it also often reminds me of how happy I am with how my life has turned out as well!

Shinny said...

You better call me when you get down this way. I will drive to finally meet you in real life, if you think you are up for it. ;)

Anonymous said...

Yes, that's the downside of moving. My sister gave birth more than a week ago, and I still haven't been able to talk to her. Fortunately, when we do plan a reunion - family or friends - you can still reconnect and share those special bonds.

Anonymous said...

This is why I come to chicago and meet bloggers. Not enough connection to those from my past...I'm making new connections with my future.

Anonymous said...

Moving can be tough when it comes to leaving your friends. Hope you see them soon.

Anonymous said...

I got to see good college friends this weekend on a trip "home." It's nice to have someone to say, "I miss you, I wish you lived closer," and really really really mean it. Still, we each have good lives, just far apart.

Your photo is beautiful.

crazymumma said...

I hope your children get to see a bit of this past. I think it makes us more....human I guess, in their eyes.

alison said...

Lovely post. I make an annual pilgrimage back to Sudbury every summer to meet up with the friends I left there 12 years ago.

And autumn is like that around here too.

Anonymous said...

I to think of my friends often. I try and remember the fun we had and the things that brought us so close together) like when we taught my best friends 4 year old how to open our beer befor he gave them to us*LOL* I find when I go home now I don't quite seem to fit any longer. I'm a combination of 2 worlds . I still love my friends in family but I guess living somewhere else is bound to rub off on a person. As much as I wish it was like before(ah the memories) the adult in me knows it will never be the same again.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...