Saturday 11 October 2008

do's and don'ts

For seventh birthday parties held in bowling alleys:

Do invite really nice kids - in this case, nine kids from Cass's combined primary-first grade class. (Plus a hyper-excited-to-play-with-the-big-kids Rosey. And a third-grader big sister of his buddy B, which thrilled C to no end. Big kids? Verah cool.)

Don't show up with the birthday boy covered in bruises.
People look at you funny.
(yeaaaah. C's left cheek? Total dark bruise. Right where...well, right where someone would have punched him. Champ took a header on the slide the other day. This is, of course, nicely balanced out by his red and puffy-ish right eye - the perils of blowing up balloons and having one burst in your face.)

Do coerce your in-laws into helping, then discover (again, why do you keep forgetting this??) they are totally cool and great with kids. Even groups of kids, which is no mean feat.

Don't freak out that the bowling alley won't have napkins, or straws (although not the cool bendy kind you packed) or plates or cups or scotch tape, for pete's sakes, necessitating a huge bag of supplies being shlepped back and forth.

Do buy balloons in bulk. They make great toys when kids are just starting to come or getting bored waiting for the food to come.
Bonus: you got to watch your husband puff himself silly, and then your kids will say things like 'Daddy's a really good blower, isn't he, Mom?' and then you will have to maintain composure.
Because you're an adult. Sorta.

Don't make the kids (little, weenie kids!) play an entire game of bowling without offering drinks. (truly a d'oh! moment.)

Do save the cake for last. The sugar highs? Can be had by the smaller set in the privacy of their own homes. *evil grin*

Don't buy a cake with blue frosting, even as only trim. Not good. Not ever. I knew it was bad when I couldn't get it off my fingertips, and then I looked around the table and panicked at all the happy blue smiles.
This lovely mug (belonging to Cass's good friend E) is stained with the evidence. I think she was even going to another birthday party after Cass's. To E's Mom...I am SO SORRY.



He had a great time. I think I'll go sleep for a week.




16 comments:

Away2me (Deanna) said...

Great Do's and Don'ts! Sounds like you had a blast!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I need a nap after reading about it.

Elizabeth said...

Oh yes, the bowling birthday. I know it well.
Good times.
(the blue does come off eventually. Same for black..thinking ahead to Hallowe'en parties...)

Lorie said...

Blue icing is dangerous!! It looks like you had a great party

molly said...

Great advice! Just about thirty years too late for me....SO glad you were able to maintain your composure!

Suzanne said...

One more DO. Do have the party outside the home, so that you don't have to clean before or after the party!

Anonymous said...

Great tips - my oldest is 7 in December and also wants a bowling party! It's our first "real" bday party instead of a family only party. I'm so glad to not be having it at home for a change!

Ricki said...

Awww this is a great post. Hard to believe you have a 7 yr old already!

Sue said...

Sounds like a ton of fun!

Anonymous said...

Hehe sounds like fun! The only thing worse than blue icing, is black icing! Try that next time :)

kimmyk said...

i miss kids and birthday parties like this.

mine are too old...now they just want the money and to be left alone. LOL.

I can't believe a balloon burst and caused a black eye. i mean i can, but holy hell. that would scare me to death.

meggie said...

Cass looks happy, in spite of the 'wounds'.

blackbird said...

Aw...I think blue frosting is fun!
(Try some Arnica for bruising - it works!)

A. Nonny Mouse said...

Sounds like everyone had fun.

And you are truly evil to hype the kids up on sugar and then send them home. You didn't even give them a chance to run it off! :)

I was at a Fire Department Open House this weekend, selling cookies and such. One woman said they'd be back after they partook of the free hotdogs to buy some goodies. Because her kids were staying at her in-laws house that night and she needed to get them good and loaded up on sugar. Evil, evil woman. I had to laugh, though...

Stomper Girl said...

I think the advice to invite nice kids and lots of helpers is spot on. I've been to a few all-boy bowling parties and some of them get completely feral. Plus, our bowling alleys are REALLY noisy, it's quite overwhelming.

Sarah Louise said...

Glad your in-laws are great with kids. And I'll have to remember that about blue icing.

xo,

SL

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...