Friday 17 October 2008

parents know best

Yesterday, in the car:

Cass: Fleeing stones. Mom, what does that mean?
Me: FLYING stones, honey.
Cass: What does it MEAN?
Me: Rocks with wings.
Cass: What? Noo...
Rosey: Ooh, are they for me? Nana said you had to give me some.
*silence while I rack my brain*
Me: whoosy now?
Rosey: Remember Mama? Nana said you have to give me and Cass rocks with wings.
Me: Nana wha? When was this, R?
Rosey: When we were at dinner. Nana said you and Daddy both had to give us rocks with wings. So are those for me?
Cass: No, I saw them first.
Bear: Uh, Jess? What is she going on about?

and I thought and thought

and then remembered....

Me: ROOTS and WINGS*! ROOTS AND WINGS!
*silence*

Rosey: So where are they?


*"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children.
One of these is roots, the other wings." Hodding Carter

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well thank goodness you were able to translate that!

Suzanne said...

That is TOO funny! (so, are you feeling you are blessed or cursed with kids who are literal!?)

A. Nonny Mouse said...

It's funny, as I was clicking through to see the end of this post, I KNEW it was "Roots and Wings". I knew it.

Hee.

Dani said...

That is just precious. :)

Mike said...

Your kids have memories like steel traps. I find that always gets me in trouble. Neat story..

Anonymous said...

I like rocks with wings. LOL too cute.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I want rocks with wings! Or is it pigs that fly?

Anonymous said...

Hehe that's so cute!

Stomper Girl said...

Yeah, come on where are these rootsanwings things???

Linda said...

LOL!! Oh Rosey, that is awesome. If I ever find some rocks with wings, they are totally coming your way.

Anonymous said...

Too funny!

Woman in a Window said...

freaken funny!

Missives From Suburbia said...

Awww... that is adorable!!

Magpie said...

That is great beauty right there. Roots and wings, indeed.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...