Monday 6 March 2006

pizza-free house

Is it possible to catch germs over the internet? Several of the moms I chat with daily have sick kids - including wicked viruses - but there's a big difference between feeling sorry for a sick little girl in West Virginia and having your son puddle once-used supper over you.

Oh, and it was as fun as it sounds, believe me!

It was late at night, and I'd just turned the light off when Cass came padding into my bedroom. Standing on Bear's side of the bed, he said those words that every parent knows are trouble: 'I don't feel good.'

Then he erupted pizza over the bed.

Bear, who was asleep (and who had the covers pulled up, thank god) didn't move, but as soon as Cass got done decorating the blankets over both of us, my boy climbed into the mess and threw himself at me, sobbing. And of course, threw up again. On me.

My husband is a brave, honorable man. He has training in crisis situations I hope I never experience. I doubt very much that any of his training covered waking up in a smelly bed with the boys foot in his face. He did recover remarkably well.

Since I now had mess up to my eyebrows, I took the crying child and put him in the bathtub. Once the water had sluiced most of the crud off, Bear took over and I stripped our bed and sprayed Lysol and Febreze like a crazed woman.

Bear, despite his choice of careers and medical training, suffers from a weak stomach. And it is bothered by two things - puke, and poop. Halfway through throwing our blankets in the washer, I heard a shout from the bathroom.

It wasn't just vomit anymore.

Baby boy and I were up most of the night (we hung out, sipped ginger ale, he'd vomit, we'd clean up)
we watched tv, changed a lot of pyjama bottoms and finally drifted into an uneasy sleep around four am.

Bear was home with him today. Cass has NOT thrown up two freezies and two doses of Gravol, all other substances (jello, ginger ale, applesauce, toast) are still a no go. At the moment, he is sleeping the sleep of the sickly drugged and unless he tosses up again, I don't expect to hear from him again tonight.

So who sent me the germs, and where do I send them back to?
Because we don't really need them, thanks.

7 comments:

rae ann said...

my gosh! i don't know where you got them, but keep them in your country! i don't need them at my house! BIG hopes that the rest of your crew stays healthy... specially the little girlie! bear sounds like a true trooper. it's nice to have some back up, huh?

Major Bedhead said...

Ew, Jess. Just ew. We had that here - still do, to some extent - and it's disgusting.

I'm like your husband. I have the quickest gag reflex you've ever seen. Did you ever see Stand By Me? The pie eating contest scene? Yeah, that'd be me.

Angewl said...

I am so sorry, Jess.

I swear it wan't me!

I hope Cass is feeling better.

It lasted a lot longer for Savannah than the older boys.

BTW, Who's in West Virginia?

Anonymous said...

yikes, what a mess. One time Jackson threw up from his loft bed. Just leaned over the side and let go. My, how that stuf can fly. Here's hoping you don't have that happen again.

Jess said...

A thousand apologies, Ang - you knew I meant just Virginia, right?

Angewl said...

oh, you WERE talking about Miss Savannah?? LMAO

I'll forgive you this time.....

{{{HUGS}}}

Josi said...

Jess, I was wondering the same thing about the internet carrying the bugs cause it seems whenever one of the bebes or mommies gets sick it just kind of trickles down the line. And it's not just people not feeling well. It's generally all the same symptoms. I'm glad the kiddos made it through as I am happy you did too. Can't say I will be able to handle that situation with such grace when it happens.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...