Saturday 9 July 2005

I don't want to re-stir the ashes of a fight I wasn't involved with, but:

I read a lot of blogs. There are some very funny, wise and wonderful people out there writing, and I'm lucky to be able to grab ahold of their lives, if only for a short while. They make me think and laugh and weep. Some of those blogs are women with small children. Since I have an ankle-biter or two myself, I can relate.

All well and good, right? So, you're thinking, ho-hum, what is the point??

One of these women had a post on her blog about letting her baby cry it out. She's a first time Mom, and was having some guilt issues about doing that - I wrote back to her and shared a story about my experience with CIO (Worked with my son, my daughter the diva, no dice) then watched in horror as her post was completely mistrued and comment after comment poured in about how terrible she was, what a monster, etc.
People posted comments about her blog on others' blogs, and the venom (and incorrect statements!) went on and on.

My question:
How can we, as women, as mothers, be so horrible to each other?
Noone's parenting style or choices make you a better parent, it's just the road you choose. Isn't it time for some solidarity between women? Some helping, instead of righteous name-calling? Some acknowledgement that we're all in this together, and working as hard as we can to help our kids become great adults?

Because I can assure you, whether my kids CIO or not, that's the goal.

No comments:

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...