Saturday 30 July 2011

famine

Some days the blank new post page fills me with horror. And I can think of other things to tear myself away with -  Pinterest and Google +, Facebook and Twitter, email and CNN.

Some days, I don't want to write posts. Some days, my heart is heavy and my words come out thick and I can't stop the yammering in the back of my head - the famine, the pictures on the news, the death and horror and bleakness of it all.

Hard to believe all of this is happening a plane ride away.

It's hard to know what to do.  I've been surprised by non-profit organizations before (and recommend, wholeheartedly, that you check out and see how much of your dollar actually goes to help) but I wish there was some way I could help.

link to a very good blog post I read about how maybe I can do just that

Here? Today we played Trivial Pursuit,  (did you know that Iceland drinks more Coca-Cola than anywhere else, per person? I didn't!) made chicken chili mac and a giant chocolate cake, Rosey learned to skip rope and Cass discovered he just might like watching baseball after all. Tomorrow he's going to go hang out at a Pirate Festival (and so is busily practicing his arrrr!s), and Rosey is deciding where she wants to go after the library - the park or the playground.

Of course we're assuming it'll stop raining. It's supposed to, but this summer has been a little baffling in that regard. I can't remember another summer when I've been sure to have both an umbrella and a sweatshirt in the car in July.

Those seem like such small, inconsequential things compared to leaving a child to die by the side of the road and carrying a dead baby on my back, compared to the sweltering heat and the flies that are these people's daily lives.


I shouldn't complain.

And I'll be much more thankful for the cool weather and the rain. I will.

3 comments:

Gabriella said...

Coincidental you should post this tonite as I was thinking much along the same lines...so much unhappiness and horror in the world regarding children makes it hard to write something about our privileged lives...sometimes the world doesn't make sense...despite my complaining I thank God that I have what I have.

Anonymous said...

Jess,
You gave me inspiration with this. Thanks. I linked to this post.

Schadenfreude Warehouse said...

Send some rain our way. Our entire state is in drought mode. Rivers and lakes are down. Animals are dying. I use potholders to open my car door.

I kid....I get bummed by the state of the world too.

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...