Monday 13 September 2010

hodge-podge

alternate title: Things my post folder has had in it the last week

  • I've been having a hard time finding stories to listen to lately. Water For Elephants, while a great book, does NOT come off well in audio, and the otherwise interesting-and -worth listening to story about the fifteen-year-old Indian prostitute? Not so great for when the kids are in the car.

  • It's September, the kids are back to school, my rounds of much-loved committee meetings and volunteer work have begun, and I'm finally getting into a groove at work.

  • B built the first fire tonight, as it's been a wee bit damp and rainy, and now I'm sitting here trying to look grateful and not actively sweat all over him while he chats on about the bread he made today and we talk about everything and nothing at all.

  • I saw my first autumnal tree today. And while it was gorgeous and still-new and exciting enough so that I smiled at the sight, I'm just a wee bit horrified that summer slipped away so fast. It seems like I should have a tighter grip on the changing seasons by now - so much comes with age and maturity - why not that power?

3 comments:

kyooty said...

i'm jealous you are just getting your autumnal trees? It's crazy here Yellow leave since july!

alison said...

I never think to get books on tape/cd from the library. I'll look into it for our next long road trip, I'm sure the 9 hours from Ottawa to Windsor would be more pleasant with a story being told. Just not one about Indian prostitutes.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Er, no . The older you get the quicker time goes by .
But I agree . This summer has positively whipped by !

A couple of big blows

 Snow, that is. My province has been hit hard this year.  We're still digging out from the St. Valentine's day storm, and we might f...